What's new

RT-AC66U DNS Serving Static IPs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NivagSwerdna

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I don't really know the jargon around the question I am asking so please excuse the wording.

On my LAN (which is segmented across a wireless bridge) I have a number of servers which run services such as my mail service, a wiki, confluence, minecraft(!) etc.

I would like clients on the LAN to resolve the addresses of these services via DNS rather than hard coding hosts files etc on the individual PCs.

So I would like to configure names in the router which for defined names will resolve to fixed IP addresses rather than forward the DNS request to the ISPs DNS servers at the end of the PPPoE connection.

e.g. If I have a minecraft server on my machine 192.168.1.10

I would like

minecraft.mydomain.com to resolve to 192.168.1.12

I have done this with other routers (Billion 7800N using Static DNS entries) and on Technicolor routers using a CLI command dns server host add name=minecraft addr=192.168.1.12 ttl=0

Is this possible with my new shiny router? (I would prefer not to run a DNS service of my own)

Thanks in advance,
Nivag

Can be done if you flash Asuswrt-Merlin. It will let you either populate your own custom host file, or assign hostnames to DHCP leases.

Thanks. That is really great.

Unfortunately I'm having hardware issues... think I might have got a lemon... if I can resolve those I will try to change FW.

Most likely you need to access the web server with a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for it to understand and redirect the request to the proper server. Are you using apache?
For my development I modify my hosts file on my development machine (desktop and/or laptop) to translate the desired domain to the correct private IP (i.e.: www.domain.com 192.168.1.1)

Obviously this is for INTERNAL testing only but does seem to work reliably. Also, on my N66U I have defined incoming port 80 to direct any requests to my internal web server's private IP. All the outside access as well as the internal access normally come in on port 80 so the redirection works very well.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!