What's new

RT-AC66U keeps losing wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phonos

New Around Here
Hello all, I've had my RT-AC66U for sometime now but an issue that I've had happen on occasion is now happening all the time. Something happens to the router and I lose all WiFi connections and nothing can connect via WiFi but wired still works. Until I power cycle the router there is no change in the WiFi. I used to think it was a firmware issue as the occasional problem started earlier this year after an update (maybe once every two weeks). Today was the worst as it kept losing the WiFi connection about every 40 minutes and I had to power cycle the router to get it back. So today I decided to change the firmware and see if that helps. I went to the latest RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_3 from RMerlin but the issue keeps happening. All I was using my WiFi for over a 9 hour period was for my working from home setup. So I have my work setup connected back to the RT-AC66U via a TL-WA901ND (in wireless client) with an Aruba router connected to the TL-WA901ND with my work PC and phone connect to the Aruba router. Now this was working great until this past week when the WiFi connection loss issue started heavy. Any suggestions on the firmware with tweaks or trying a different firmware or does it sound like my router is dying. Any input would be helpful.

Not sure how your question is related to Merlin's FW, since switching to the latest Merlin build didn't fix an already existing problem, but I guess anything's possible. I doubt that anything on your office end (the Aruba and TP Link, which I presume are the stuff you have remotely located at your office) would affect the wireless connection from the AC66U to any wireless clients in your home. Are you sure it's not something affecting the wireless clients at your house? What are you using at home that is losing the wireless signal from the AC66U?

Maybe try to do a factory reset and then re-flash the latest Merlin build and see if that helps. What do your AC66U logs say is going on?

Last edited:
Hello all, I've had my RT-AC66U for sometime now but an issue that I've had happen on occasion is now happening all the time. Something happens to the router and I lose all WiFi connections and nothing can connect via WiFi but wired still works. Until I power cycle the router there is no change in the WiFi. I used to think it was a firmware issue as the occasional problem started earlier this year after an update (maybe once every two weeks). Today was the worst as it kept losing the WiFi connection about every 40 minutes and I had to power cycle the router to get it back. So today I decided to change the firmware and see if that helps. I went to the latest RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_3 from RMerlin but the issue keeps happening. All I was using my WiFi for over a 9 hour period was for my working from home setup. So I have my work setup connected back to the RT-AC66U via a TL-WA901ND (in wireless client) with an Aruba router connected to the TL-WA901ND with my work PC and phone connect to the Aruba router. Now this was working great until this past week when the WiFi connection loss issue started heavy. Any suggestions on the firmware with tweaks or trying a different firmware or does it sound like my router is dying. Any input would be helpful.

I recommend to first turn off your router, wait 30 seconds and then hold down the wps button while turning the router back on. Wait up to 10 seconds at the least, while holding down the wps button and turning the router back on. I personally prefer to wait 30 seconds while holding down the wps button. What holding down the wps button while turning the router back on does is erase or "clear" your nvram on your router. Afterwards, once you have completed the steps above, you should wait a full minute after erasing your nvram. By this, I mean you should wait a full minute after the lights stop blinking and settle down to normal before turning your router back off. Now after turning your router off wait another 30 seconds before turning it back on.

Now once your router is back on you can log in and reset everything from scratch to your own personal preference of settings you use. It is better to reset everything from scratch rather than to save a file of your settings you used before and re-apply them that way. If you did this you would be taking away part of the benefit of erasing your nvram in your router.

If these steps I have mentioned above do not work and you are still having problems, get back to us about the specific problems you are having and maybe someone can help you.

It is vital you erase your nvram and reset everything from scratch to help appropriately identify your problem.

Last edited:
OK I erased the nvram as suggested and set my router back up manually. Unfortunately the only way I will know if it works is if it drops the WiFi all together again. I ran a bunch of stress test tools over WiFi from one PC to another after work but couldn't get it to drop but I know for a fact it's more than the work components do. I'm not salaried so once my shift ends I can't be testing with my work components as the system will report me working after hours. To answer jegesq the reason I'm posting here is because this forum is full of people that seem to know what their doing (as apposed to ASUS). I installed the Merlin build to see if it did make a difference like if he had isolated an issue that ASUS had in the firmware. I mentioned the office end as the wireless connection dropping was exaggerated today but this issue wasn't happening this frequent before and the office end is a newer piece I've attached to my wireless network in the past three weeks (but issue didn't start until last week in this manner). As far as what wireless device? All of them, no device can connect when this happens until the router is power cycled. Unfortunately the log tends to dump when I do this and I don't have the time when working to get back into the router before power cycling it to review and copy what it shows. My concern is the router is failing because I can't afford to replace it right now and I'm trying not to run a 100 foot Ethernet cable across my house (office has to stay where it is and my connection is on other side where the normal house wired connects are). Hopefully this helps but anymore thoughts, idea's, etc I would welcome. Thanks!

OK I erased the nvram as suggested and set my router back up manually. Unfortunately the only way I will know if it works is if it drops the WiFi all together again. I ran a bunch of stress test tools over WiFi from one PC to another after work but couldn't get it to drop but I know for a fact it's more than the work components do. I'm not salaried so once my shift ends I can't be testing with my work components as the system will report me working after hours. To answer jegesq the reason I'm posting here is because this forum is full of people that seem to know what their doing (as apposed to ASUS). I installed the Merlin build to see if it did make a difference like if he had isolated an issue that ASUS had in the firmware. I mentioned the office end as the wireless connection dropping was exaggerated today but this issue wasn't happening this frequent before and the office end is a newer piece I've attached to my wireless network in the past three weeks (but issue didn't start until last week in this manner). As far as what wireless device? All of them, no device can connect when this happens until the router is power cycled. Unfortunately the log tends to dump when I do this and I don't have the time when working to get back into the router before power cycling it to review and copy what it shows. My concern is the router is failing because I can't afford to replace it right now and I'm trying not to run a 100 foot Ethernet cable across my house (office has to stay where it is and my connection is on other side where the normal house wired connects are). Hopefully this helps but anymore thoughts, idea's, etc I would welcome. Thanks!

Try installing firmware build 374.43 by Merlin. After you successfully install the firmware, erase the nvram the same exact way I mentioned before and reset all of your settings from scratch. Do all of that over again and maybe this will fix your problem. The 376 firmware build that you are using has a vast variety of changes and differences compared to a 374 firmware build. 374.43 is the last 374 firmware build. It is very reliable and should work for the long haul. I have have used it successfully before on my RT-N66R.

It is absolutely essential you erase your nvram after switching from a 376 to a 374 firmware build for many reasons. Problems will occur if you don't erase your nvram after switching from a 376 to a 374 firmware build.

Last edited:
OK I've installed the firmware build 374.43 by Merlin, reset the nvram and manually set up the router again. So hopefully I'll have my answer after work tomorrow if this resolves the issue or not. If the issue doesn't return I think I'll keep the firmware the same from here on out. Thanks again for your help.

Make sure you use a static channel and not leave it on Auto. Some people seem to have issues where their clients don't support all channels, so if the router switches to one they don't support (especially on the 5 GHz band), they end up losing connectivity.

Thanks for the suggestion Merlin, I forgot to put it back on a static channel after the 2nd time but was using it originally. Today went off without a hitch so hopefully the issue is resolved, should it come back I might just call it a day on this router. If that happens anyone got a suggestion on a good future proofed replacement? I replaced my old Linksys draft N router with this one, I was very happy with the ASUS made router but sad if it's already crapped out. From my personal experience with other ASUS products they are generally good. Thanks again to 4leaf.

Merlin- I know this is not the right place for this post but I don't know how else to contact you its about the latest firmware release for the 66R/U. On the latest firmware the wifi on the 2 ghz band was disabled after setting up the router as "Media". On the previous firmware it was left on. NOW it's disabled. Can you please have an option to have this other band ON. It helps me since I have a AC87R as my main router. And the AC66R as a media station. And having the 2 Ghz band enabled on the 66 R helps me with the network Load. Please re-enstate the 2Ghz on the next firmware.

Merlin Please help. My ac87r is dropping the WAN Coneccion. It's unable to sustain a conection without dropping. Therefore streaming and online gaming. Is not posible. First I thought it was the wifi. But after connecting it with a cable strait yo the router. It's still dropping. ( by the way I plugged it straight to the Modem and no problem on streaming or online gaming).

Ps. I installed the latest firmware from Asus. And the Problem stopped. Works like a charm. No wan dropping. The thing is I love your software do to the Individual DNSFILTER

Just a thought. I had the same problem and tried everything. Then i found out when we had our macs running airport when listening to spotify we had drops on other devices.

Just to confirm with you guys. Do you remember if you guys had Keyword Filter enabled? Because I have been changing ma settings little by little to see were the problem lies. And I narrow it down to 5he Keyword Filter ( after 4 words in the list ) can Anyone Confirm this? (Enable Keyword Filter add a few words and start Streaming or playing some games) let me know if the connection Drops (get kicked off)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!