What's new

RT-AC66U Temperatures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Violet

New Around Here
Hey, I purchased a RT-AC66U router last week and it's been running wonderfully so far.

I have no problems with it except that it's running quite warm, and if I were to touch the USB ports, I would say hot.

This is my temperature report:

ASUSWRT RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4 Thu Jan 24 23:43:19 UTC 2013
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
77 (0x4d)
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
92 (0x5c)

that's 58c/66c, correct?

Summer just started, it is currently 30c in my room, really annoying.. I just installed the air conditioner today though, so it should be dropping lower.

A few days ago when I tested it first, when it was about 25c in my room, the values were hovering around 72 and 85. So I guess that's 56c for the 2Ghz and 62c for the 5Ghz if I'm applying the formula right.

Currently, it feels a little high though and even though it'll get cooler in the house, is that still acceptable? Because right now, the router is brand new, in a few years it will only get hotter due to dust and hardware getting age.

Edit: Installed AC running for an hour now, new temps:

admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
67 (0x43)
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
80 (0x50)

I don't feel like ambient dropped by much, it's 28c now so it's getting better and the router feels much cooler to the touch now. There is one half that is quite cooler than the other on the router. I don't know if I should return it at this point, input needed.

Last edited:
These temperatures are perfectly normal for the RT-AC66U, don't worry about it. If I remember correctly, thermal throttling doesn't kick in until 80C.

You might be able to cut a few degrees by using the supplied stand, but personally I just wouldn't worry about it.

I just put a cheap ( $10 ) 2-fan usb-powered notebook cooler under mine. It's a Gigaware foldable model, and when you snap off the folding part, the cooler is perfectly sized for the RT-AC66U

I'm already using the supplied stand, but I guess if temperatures are in check it should be ok.

The manual makes the following reference:

For optimum performance, please switch on the cooling system

Nowhere else does it mention the cooling system or how to turn it on. Is this an error?

Nowhere else does it mention the cooling system or how to turn it on. Is this an error?

Could be the typical Engrish.

"Are you sure to logout?" "You have logout successfully."

The original RT-N66U (before mass market release) had a cooling fan. It was removed before the final revision (that's why the RT-N66U is labeled as revision B1). Asus didn't bothered updating the user manual for the RT-N66U release.

When they released the RT-AC66U, they took the RT-N66U manual, and did a search/replace job to change the model number. And the cooling fan reference was once again left in. :)

So just ignore that.

My main router, Wallmounted (Fri Mar 7 01:35:36 UTC 2014 merlin@965cd0c)

shows:

http://router/Tools_Sysinfo.asp
2.4 GHz: 56°C - 5 GHz: 60°C

ssh:
router:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
72 (0x48)
router:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
81 (0x51)

My repeater laying on the stereo rack (Fri Mar 7 01:35:36 UTC 2014 merlin@965cd0c)

Shows:

http://repeater/Tools_Sysinfo.asp
2.4 GHz: 56°C - 5 GHz: 63°C

ssh:
repeater:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
72 (0x48)
repeater:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
87 (0x57)

I think it's normal that the 5 GHz on the repeater is warmer. Most of the traffic on 5 Ghz is generated on the repeater side.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!