What's new

RT-AC66U USB Application - NFS Exports - USB stick/SSD as NFS share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ruasonid

Regular Contributor
If it is possible I want to use a USB stick in the router as a backup target from a Linux device since the NAS I would otherwise use is not always on. The backup job will not work with a Windows share and I cannot change anything on that side.

The NFS Exports option states "Export directories from plugged USB disks over NFS".

Is this the option I need?

I've got NFS export enabled via the toggle switch.

I cannot see any reference to NFS in the system log - is that normal?

The main problem I have at the moment is connecting to the NFS ext3 USB stick on the router from a Raspberry Pi. My fstab is:

192.168.0.1:/tmp/mnt/backup /media/backup nfs

/media/backup is created as a directory on the Pi.

When I try to mount the target I get
mount: special device 192.168.0.1:/tmp/mnt/backup does not exist

I had formatted to ext3 on a Windows machine so I went into the router via SSH and recreated the partition, formatted ext3, and rebooted. Same as above.

You want something like this:

Untitled.png

Yes, in more detail that is what I have:

Path: /mnt/backup
Access list: IP address of Pi
Options: rw,sync

Tried again with /mnt/backup nfs

mount.nfs: mounting 192.168.0.1:/mnt/backup failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory

Last edited:
Try it from the command line instead of fstab.
Code:
sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/mnt/backup /media/backup

If that doesn't work look in the syslog of the router for error messages.

Checked on the router file system.

There is no directory named backup in /mnt (empty) or /tmp/mnt (only sda1).

Oct 7 19:02:08 mountd[676]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.0.100:734 for /mnt/backup (/mnt/backup)
Oct 7 19:02:08 mountd[676]: can't stat exported dir /mnt/backup: No such file or directory

Edit:

Just above those entries...

kernel: svc: 192.168.0.100, port 693: unknown version (4 for prog 100003, nfsd)

Last edited:
:confused: Did you create it?

You said in post #4 that it exists. :confused:

OK, I'm getting confused too. Last time I was this hands on with Linux was on Yggdrasil Linux (look it up if you have to).

I was following instructions to set up access from a Pi to the NFS export and following those instructions I set up a backup directory /media/backup on the Pi (it's still there). Where should backup be created in this case?

Use the router's NFS interface to navigate to /mnt/sda1 and create directories using the "+" icon at the top right of the window. Then it should be selectable as the directory to share.

Use the router's NFS interface to navigate to /mnt/sda1 and create directories using the "+" icon at the top right of the window. Then it should be selectable as the directory to share.

The only interface I can see on the router (RT-AC66U) is USB Applications / NFS Exports (path, etc). I went in via PuTTY/SSH to create backup under /dev/sda1. It now shows on the router under USB Applications / NFS Export and I can select the directory. It appears as /mnt/sda1/backup.

Updated fstab, ran mount -a on the Pi and it's all systems go.

Will backup (under /media) now auto mount on reboot of the Pi?

Thanks a lot for your kind assistance.

Glad to hear that you got it working. I don't know the answer to your Raspberry Pi question. I'm not really a Pi person.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!