What's new

[RT-AC68] Looking for feedback on Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Silly question perhaps, but if the router has to be in the basement and the radio waves radiate down from the antennae, why not mount the router upside-down (or otherwise position the antennas pointing downward) so the waves travel upwards to the higher elevation clients?

From my experience, gravity plays a part on WiFi range and performance.

I'm able to have decent performance (>10Mbps) from my living room (1st storey) when my RT-N66U is placed in my computer room on the 3rd storey but not the other way round.

I know WiFi is supposed to be 2-way but actual result seems to be different :p

From my experience, gravity plays a part on WiFi range and performance.

I'm able to have decent performance (>10Mbps) from my living room (1st storey) when my RT-N66U is placed in my computer room on the 3rd storey but not the other way round.

I know WiFi is supposed to be 2-way but actual result seems to be different :p

Gravity has nothing to do with it. Walls and antenna orientation matter.

Also, radio signals can bounce on obstacles, they don't just get absorbed. Look at how radars work as a real-life example.

Closer to the ceiling than in the middle of the room might help by having part of the signal bounce around.

Also, radio signals can bounce on obstacles, they don't just get absorbed. Look at how radars work as a real-life example.

Closer to the ceiling than in the middle of the room might help by having part of the signal bounce around.

That's why we mounted all 2500 APs at the university on the ceilings.

with my Galaxy S3. this is worst with ac68u.

downloading speed is,

FW_RT_AC68U_3004374205
RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.34_beta1
-> 0.68mbps

FW_RT_AC68U_3004374339
-> 16mbps

same setting(factory but wpak2psk),
same place.

with my Galaxy S3. this is worst with ac68u.

downloading speed is,

FW_RT_AC68U_3004374205
RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.34_beta1
-> 0.68mbps

FW_RT_AC68U_3004374339
-> 16mbps

same setting(factory but wpak2psk),
same place.

The merlin build doesn't have all goodies introduces from 217 on.

after further testing, my wifi signal strength was better when I first got the router, so was the throughput,

I placed just the router upstairs(with modem connected through Ethernet) and although the signal strength went up, the signal downstairs droped to 75 dBm, and was pretty much nothing..

I moved the router back to where it was and tried the settings displayed by another user, but a lot of issues arose ;

1- on 40mhz, the max speed becomes 450Mb but the actual speed tests show 4Mb upstairs and signal strength dies out in the furthest room sto the left and right of the front of the house.

2-putting back to 20mhz gets me around 40Mb upstairs and 10 - 17Mb ish in the furthest room sto the left and right of the front of the house

3-turning beamforming on in the 2.4ghz gives me slower speeds, the further I go from the router, upstairs. (so im keeping it off)

4-at one point the router just died, although the light were blinking and wifi was broadcasting,no connections were coming through (internet,)
I couldn't access the router or anything , I had to unplug it for 30 seconds twice to get things back working.

so yeah, not too sure what to do, at first the router was amazing, now it seems like its slowly dying...

Attachments

• Screenshot (12).jpg
    Screenshot (12).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
4-at one point the router just died, although the light were blinking and wifi was broadcasting,no connections were coming through (internet,)
I couldn't access the router or anything , I had to unplug it for 30 seconds twice to get things back working.

This happens on all Asus firmware for me. Additionally when this happens, if I'm in LED stealth mode, the WiFi & Power LEDs turn on but the router is still non-functional.

I switched to DD-WRT which does not exhibit this behavior luckily. So, this should be a software issue in Asus firmware.

339 has improved 2.4ghz throughput.

11/10 @10:15am update..
My entire 2.4ghz band had slowed down and pages weren't loading.
Rebooted router with no change on 2.4ghz. I decided to reboot my iPhone / iPad devices and this fixed the problem. Is there an issue with the wireless drivers /or IOS7?

5ghz band is not affected