What's new

[RT-AC68P] Can't reconnect to 5 GHz from a distance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hcut2k4

New Around Here
This is really weird, on three different clients (Nexus 5, Moto X, Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro w/ Intel AC 7260) if I lose connection to the 5 GHz channel, I cannot reconnect unless I get within a certain range of the router. My devices almost always disconnect overnight, so in the morning I will have to physically move them to within about 20 feet before they'll connect. However, this also happens if I manually disconnect them and try to reconnect. The channel is still visible with decent signal strength to all of my clients, but when I try to manually connect, it times out. When I connect by getting within range, I can go as far as I want in my home without losing connection and still have great throughput and signal strength.

I'm running the newest version of stock Asus firmware that I downloaded from their website. I have read that Merlin firmware can fix 5 GHz channel issues, but I have not seen anyone have this specific issue.

I have had the router for 10 days and this behavior has been consistent. I have tried factory resetting and rebooting the router, but unless I am close enough to the router, these devices won't connect to 5 GHz channel. I have a separate SSID for each frequency and all three devices connect with no problem to the 2.4 GHz channel anywhere the channel is visible.

Make sure the Roaming Assistant is disabled under Wireless -> Professional (check for both bands).

Make sure the Roaming Assistant is disabled under Wireless -> Professional (check for both bands).
If you have a minute, for my own understanding, what is that feature ?

It is a feature to improve roaming between wireless APs by not allowing clients to connect when the signal is below a certain level.

This feature would only be useful if you have multiple wireless APs so that by one AP refusing to connect with a client another AP would be available for connection.

If you have a minute, for my own understanding, what is that feature ?

What STX said.....Roaming assistant allows your router to hand-off a client to another access point on the same LAN that has a stronger signal. If you want to know more, use the "search" function, or read the manual. It's all there.

I checked roaming assistant on both bands last night and both were disabled. I'm still having the problem where certain points in my house cannot connect to 5Ghz even though the SSID is visible and showing decent signal strength. If I get close enough, I can connect and then I can go anywhere in the house without losing connection, with good signal strength and great throughput speeds.

No information from the router logs ?

Try to forget(remove) the profile on each devices then rebuild. Another you can try is change the channels, if you were using higher channels now, change it to the lower channels or vice versa.

Try to forget(remove) the profile on each devices then rebuild. Another you can try is change the channels, if you were using higher channels now, change it to the lower channels or vice versa.

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately I have already tried changing the channels (using auto, 38-ish, and 157-ish) as well as forgetting the profile on all of the devices). If I am unable to see anything in the logs that shows me what's going on, I'm going to install Merlin and see if that clears it up.

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately I have already tried changing the channels (using auto, 38-ish, and 157-ish) as well as forgetting the profile on all of the devices). If I am unable to see anything in the logs that shows me what's going on, I'm going to install Merlin and see if that clears it up.

Did Merlin fixed the issue?

I'm also having disconnection issues in 5 ghz band

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!