What's new

RT-AC68P vs RT-AC56U - worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lime237

Occasional Visitor
Hello! I was looking to get people’s opinions on this subject. I am comparing the RT-AC56U with the RT-AC68P (initially was looking an RT-AC68U then realized the RT-AC68P with its upgraded CPU and antennas can be had for only $20 more). I have read Tim’s reviews, along with many posts on this forum regarding both routers, but still unable to make up my mind. I see mostly great things about both, but have seen a few complaints about 2.4GHz on the RT-AC56U (not sure if that was resolved by new firmware, or if it was a hardware issue). Currently, there is about a $100 difference between the prices of the RT-AC56U and the RT-AC68P. As it stands, all of my wireless clients are either 1x1 or 2x2, and I do not foresee a change to this anytime soon, as it appears the only 3x3 clients one would be able to get is another 3x3 router (set up as a client), a few 3x3 desktop wireless cards, or a Retina MacBook Pro (may be missing a few others, but you get the point). Having said all of this, I am aware that the RT-AC68P’s “on paper” advantages over the RT-AC56U are: 1GHz CPU instead of 800MHz, 3x3 instead of 2x2, external vs internal antennas, and maybe a few other things. With my client mix being 1x1 and 2x2 clients, do you think I would see any real-world advantages by going with the RT-AC68P over the RT-AC56U? If so, what are they, and would they justify the extra $100 in your opinion? I currently live in a 2-story townhouse (about 1000 sq ft each floor); do you think there are any benefits of having the 3x3 router over a 2x2 router (ex: range, throughput) if none of my clients are 3x3? And this may sound strange, but does the RT-AC56U have any advantages somehow over the RT-AC68P in any way? Also, any comments anything else, including USB 3.0 performance, as well as USB 3.0 interference mitigation/shielding & how that affects 2.4GHz band on both routers are welcome.
Thanks and happy holidays to everyone!

I have a AC68U (not P) and I bought the AC56u for 2 friends. The later is a very good router and I would say "go for it" it was not of your large home space to cover. Also I think that the AC68P has 2 USB3 ports (the 56u has 1 usb3 and 1 usb2). The AC56u is said to have a better shielding to prevent the usb3 problem over the 2.4 MHz band (at least when compared to the 68U). But who cares about the crowdy 2.4 MHz ?

AC68U/P covers a bigger area with external antennas. For a multi story house, worth the extra $100 to go with AC68U. For a flat, AC56U should be sufficient. Not to mention that you can adjust its tx power to cover a bigger apartment.

So I actually ended up getting an RT-AC68P as well as RT-AC56U as gifts from separate people! I conducted some basic LAN speedtests with N and AC 1x1 and 2x2 clients (not the best client mix to test with but that's what I have at the moment), and determined that range/throughput was really good with the RT-AC56U, but was noticeably better on the RT-AC68P (as expected), on both frequencies. The difference was more pronounced the further I was from the routers. I also conducted some LAN speedtests with RT-AC68P with and without USB3 transfers going between 50-60MBps with my WD 4TB external drive (formatted EXT4), and there was no noticeable degradation of speed/range (or any disconnections) on the 2.4GHz band while USB3 file transfer occurred.

I will likely be keeping the RT-AC68P and returning the RT-AC56U :)

Hmmm i cant find the p version here in the netherlands is this a non european version only?

Hmmm i cant find the p version here in the netherlands is this a non european version only?
Sold exclusively in the USA BestBuy, I think...

Sold exclusively in the USA BestBuy, I think...

I've read somewhere here that Asus is changing the last letter when they sell through a 3rd party and not directy from them. The U ending means it comes directly from Asus, any other letter not, but I don't know if there are "under the hood" differences.

To be corrected If I'm wrong. :cool:

I've read somewhere here that Asus is changing the last letter when they sell through a 3rd party and not directy from them. The U ending means it comes directly from Asus, any other letter not, but I don't know if there are "under the hood" differences.

To be corrected If I'm wrong. :cool:

The RT-AC68P is actually different hardware, it's not just a different marketing SKU. 1 GHz BCM4709 CPU instead of a 800 MHz BCM4708. Possibly additional changes too.

I've never seen any of this variations in Spain either, only the U model. :p

The P seems to be having reliability issues, based on reviews on amazon and newegg. Newegg is currently discounting the P substantially to $110- just to try to get rid of them.

The P seems to be having reliability issues, based on reviews on amazon and newegg. Newegg is currently discounting the P substantially to $110- just to try to get rid of them.

Nope. Mine is working just fine. The "P" version is exclusive to Best Buy. If Amazon or Newegg were to be selling it the router would be used, refurbished, or open box.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!