What's new

RT-AC68P WAN slow after merlin 380.69 to 384.19 upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hakanson

New Around Here
Greetings,

I upgraded from asuswrt-merlin 380.69_0 to 384.19_0 earlier today. Yes, I did reset-to-defaults after the upgrade (manually re-entered settings).

Prior to the upgrade, I was getting wired download & upload speeds of 900mbits/sec. After the upgrade, the best I can get is 350mbits/sec, with Core-1 at 100%. I still get the 900mbits/sec speeds when the test machine is connected directly to the ONT (bypassing the router).

Both before and after the upgrade, I had QoS of type bandwith-limit in place for one device (that QoS-ed device was not in use during testing). Disabling the QoS, post-upgrade, does not change the results. There are no VPNs in effect, and no add-ons.

I saw mention in the 384.19 release thread of at least one person who saw a similar slowdown.

Is this expected? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to get back the performance I had, preferably without reverting to the old 380.69 release (or having to buy new hardware).

Thanks and regards,

Hakanson

Does it show the same after a reboot and waiting about 10 to 15 minutes for the router to settle?

Yes, in fact the above was about 5 hours after a reboot. Note, however, this was with a QoS Bandwidth Limiter enabled, since I had found that disabling the QoS did not improve the speed.

Update: Disabling QoS, and then rebooting, does get Hardware Acceleration enabled:
Enabled (CTF + FA)

After doing the above, I'm back to 900Mbits/sec through the router, so that's a bit of a relief. Note that I had not done a full reboot after disabling QoS in my previous tests.

This is definitely different from the 380.69 release. I don't recall exactly which queuing discipline I had for the Bandwith Limiter in 380.69, but we certainly had it enabled for some years, first with our 50Mbit/sec service, and also more recently with our gigabit service.

Do we know if it'll be possible in the future to use QoS on this router while the bandwidth limiter is enabled? It's very useful here.

Anyway, at least I have a workaround for the time being. Thanks for the clues!

Regards,

Hakanson

uh, you want QoS to make your gigabit internet, what? faster?
remember: quantity (of throughput) has a quality all it's own
QoS is more aimed at high volume or lower speed connection management. 1Gbps - unless you're consistently saturating your up and down connections - is plenty fast to not have to worry about lining all the ducks up perfectly to get through the gate in an orderly fashion. Different story if you've a 50/10 connection with 3-4 ppl on your lan with 3-4 devices each, right?

Bandwidth limiting and Queuing? maybe the queuing would help to keep the up side of the connection orderly/smooth, but bandwidth limiting? maybe the ac68 would benefit, being specification-limited compared to newer models. we don't want the processor to release the smoke fairies, after all ;-D

Last edited:
QoS is not just for lower speed connections. I have 1Gbps up/down symmetrical and yes, it's fast. But it can always be faster. Not simply the peak speeds achievable either, but rather, the latencies being unmistakably reduced to a minimum value as possible.

That is why I also use Skynet, Diversion, Unbound Manager, ntpMerlin (I know, I've been asked how this makes the internet faster, but it does for me - noticeably less latency), Channel Hog, and recently, FlexQoS too.

The tests I do are simple. If I notice a difference in my daily web browsing with each added script/option (usually testing for a week or so and then (as a test) disabling the tested script), is it beneficial, or not? If beneficial, it is kept, otherwise, it is removed.

FlexQoS has proven every bit as effective as the previous scripts to making the internet closer to being real-time for me.

Even with 1ms to 2ms 'unloaded' latency and 5ms to 6ms 'loaded' latency when running speed tests like at fast.com, the scripts above make the internet much more immediate and therefore useful for me.

I can even see these benefits when I use OpenVPN to connect remotely to my router and get the benefits it has, (almost) regardless of the local connection quality at that remote location.

The use case for bandwidth limiting here is that we have a number of devices which are capable of soaking up all available bandwidth (download). In particular, the Apple TV 4K, at the start of a new video stream, would saturate our link and cause game-play to suffer from latency/lag problems. This was a big problem when we had 50mbps service, but still happens to a degree with our gigabit service.

TV-watching (1080p) functions perfectly fine with a 15 Mbit cap (we increased this to 100Mbit with our new gigabit service), and that one, simple limit creates a lag-free experience for everyone else in the home. And, on the 380.69 firmware, it worked without loss of hardware acceleration.

I'd very much like to be able to use that feature again.

Regards,

Hakanson

I can confirm the same behavior here. On the older firmware, bandwidth limiter works fine for the restricted machines while the non-limited machines can get the full 900Mbps, even after multiple power-cycles and reboots of the router.

I'd say that the ASUS engineers quoted in the above article are not familiar with how their products actually work in the real world.

I suppose I could go try to become adept at convincing Adaptive QoS to do what I was using the bandwidth limiter for. Somehow I'm not finding much enthusiasm for that project :).

Thanks and regards,

Hakanson