What's new

RT-AC68P (with upgraded CPU, NOT R or U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Had a look at one of the 1Ghz box and it says fw 2104 & the antennas look different than the r/u

Ram is the same

Had a look at one of the 1Ghz box and it says fw 2104 & the antennas look different than the r/u

Ram is the same

The antennas look like those used on the RT-AC87U.

The antennas look like those used on the RT-AC87U.

Yes

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I went to buy an RT-AC68R at Best Buy today, and instead found they had the RT-AC68P (with a dual core 1GHz CPU) for 20 bucks more. I have seen this called the RT-AC68 v2 elsewhere on the web). I have started playing with it and successfully flashed Merlin's latest build to it. I have, however, been unsuccessful getting Shibby's Tomato firmware installed. I've tried both the recovery web UI and tftp methods (I'm on a Mac with no Windows machines around), with no luck.

2 questions:

1. Does anyone know if this version of the AC68 should work with Shibby?
2. If so, does anyone have any suggestions for me to try to get Shibby working. Does the dd-wrt first method still work? Any links to updated documentation is appreciated; I'm finding conflicting steps online.

Many thanks!

Is it easy to identify the RT-AC68P on the box? Does the bar code label say RT-AC68P? Does it say 1GHZ right on the box?

Assuming the "P" model uses the same firmware? No issues with either official or Merlin firmware?

I know one person did flash my firmware and it seemed to be working fine for him. However since there is no other feedback that this one single user, I cannot claim that this model is officially supported yet.

I purchased an RT-AC68P today. The setup was easy and straight forward. It came with Fw 1024. This is not yet available on line. I too would like to try Merlin, but without a file to go back to I am reluctant to try. I would like to try it because there is a problem with the guest feature, it disables randomly and requires you log in to re-enable it.

im so tempted to go grab this thing. i swapped my old N66 back in place of the AC87 because i was tired of the disconnects and the poor streaming ability on the 5Ghz band. trying to stream my slingbox in the basement to my surface pro 3 was horrible. works like a champ on my N66. looks like Bestbuy has the P knocked down to the same price as the R right now, $199

Does anyone know when or if this new model will ship in the UK?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

im so tempted to go grab this thing. i swapped my old N66 back in place of the AC87 because i was tired of the disconnects and the poor streaming ability on the 5Ghz band. trying to stream my slingbox in the basement to my surface pro 3 was horrible. works like a champ on my N66. looks like Bestbuy has the P knocked down to the same price as the R right now, $199
well, i picked this thing up at bestbuy. so far, my impressions of the AC68P are way better than my first impressions of the AC87. this thing just works. no radios failing to boot (and no stupidly long 5ghz radio bootup when it does work), and streaming media works like a champ on 5ghz; no dropouts. unless something strange happens after prolonged use, i think this is a keeper.

as others mentioned the factory firmware is 3.0.0.4.376_2104 and there is nowhere to download it as asus doesnt show this model in their support downloads yet.

well, i picked this thing up at bestbuy. so far, my impressions of the AC68P are way better than my first impressions of the AC87. this thing just works. no radios failing to boot (and no stupidly long 5ghz radio bootup when it does work), and streaming media works like a champ on 5ghz; no dropouts. unless something strange happens after prolonged use, i think this is a keeper.

as others mentioned the factory firmware is 3.0.0.4.376_2104 and there is nowhere to download it as asus doesnt show this model in their support downloads yet.

I suspect you could just flash the RT-AC68U standard firmware and it would be 100% identical, since the source code does not contain a separate target profile for building the RT-AC68P FW (no more than it does for the RT-AC68R or W). Just make sure the build number is not older than 376_2104, as there might be some generic firmware code to handle some of the HW variations of this model (i.e. the newer CPU revision, for example).

Last edited:
Can anybody confirm whether the RT-AC68P has different power amps than the RT-AC68U and whether that makes a difference in day-to-day usage.

Can you buy these anywhere other than Best Buy?

Last edited:
Well that sucks :(

As a Canadian who was really hoping to get the RT-AC68P is there any hope of it coming here?

If not, what would you recommend? RT-AC68U or the RT-AC87U?
I, too, have been waiting for several months now to see if the AC68P will be available outside of the USA (specifically the UK), and have been holding off buying a new router until it's available over here, but so far there's no sign of it. Does anybody know for sure if the AC68P will be released anywhere else? It seems strange that only one retailer in the USA carries it.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to let everyone know that the AC68P, won't ever be coming to Canada.

It also seems that Bestbuy.com has blacklisted all the package handling services near the border, seems the only way to get this thing is drive there and pick it up or find a friendly American.

I just purchased the RT-AC68P from Best Buy today and put RMerlin's FW on it and it is working like a champ.

Man I hope you guys are right. I just bought this router, and about to test it. I had the R7000 and what a piece of junk, sold it on ebay. I was going to try the linksys ones, but they have horrible reviews too. I want good range. Have an Apple Airport Extreme sitting here too that if the Asus gives me any issues, will be replaced with.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!