What's new

RT-AC68P (with upgraded CPU, NOT R or U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Man I hope you guys are right. I just bought this router, and about to test it. I had the R7000 and what a piece of junk, sold it on ebay. I was going to try the linksys ones, but they have horrible reviews too. I want good range. Have an Apple Airport Extreme sitting here too that if the Asus gives me any issues, will be replaced with.

You won't have any issues. Just load Merlin latest firmware on it and you'll be good to go. I was a hardcore Linksys fan but it's really gone downhill for them. I came over to Asus a few months ago and no problems.

i picked up a ac68p from bestbuy today in on the back on the box in the bottom right corner it says fcc id:RTAC68UV2

Just looked at my box. Says the same. So far I am happy with it. I didn't realize it came with Dual WAN. Had been looking up routers for Dual Wan and never came across these. Maybe I wasn't searching the right term though.

Course my other WAN provider has been so flaky, that I will probably try to cancel it soon, and get out of the contract.

AC68P stock Txpower

Maybe not....the country/rev is Q2/40, which if it's the same as the 68U should raise the maximum power levels without any CFE changes to 24 dBm (251mW) on 2.4GHz, and 25 dBm (316mW) on 5GHz.

Glad to hear the rt-ac68p has the Txpower set higher than 80 mw. I thought all Asus routers were set at 80mw. I just got one at BestBuy myself.

Last edited:
usb3.0 working better with P. read test in snb...

I know I'm resurecting an old thread but I'm wondering if everyone still finds the AC68P to be a good choice?

I just got it over the weekend but still haven't set it up and I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

Last edited:
If you want to be able to increase the output power, using available firmware, than don't buy the P-variant. This router has "glued" power regulation and the US-variant seems to be glued to 15 dBm, far below the maximum allowed in EU-countries.

But the P-variant has full USB3 speed on board, the U-variant not. If that is a reason to buy is up to you.
Seen this?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-band-wireless-ac1900-gigabit-router-reviewed

If you want to be able to increase the output power, using available firmware, than don't buy the P-variant. This router has "glued" power regulation and the US-variant seems to be glued to 15 dBm, far below the maximum allowed in EU-countries.

But the P-variant has full USB3 speed on board, the U-variant not. If that is a reason to buy is up to you.
Seen this?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-band-wireless-ac1900-gigabit-router-reviewed
Thank you for the feedback! I truly appreciate any info I can get.

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff so I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

I don't believe I would need the power output but perhaps some insight could be shed; should I be concerned with output power? If so, which other router do you recommend?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback! I truly appreciate any info I can get.

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff so I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

I don't believe I would need the power output but perhaps some insight could be shed; should I be concerned with output power? If so, which other router do you recommend?

Output power only matters so much. You need that power on both sides (that is, the router *and* the wireless adapters talking to it) or you won't get a significant benefits.

The 68P's output power is just fine for most uses. If you need more than it can provide, chances are you should have several wireless access points in your house, instead of a single wireless router.

Output power only matters so much. You need that power on both sides (that is, the router *and* the wireless adapters talking to it) or you won't get a significant benefits.

That is simply not true. A router has much better antennae for listening with and a client needs the power at an adequate level to allow the driver to connect and keep that connection in the first place.

Maximum power isn't what I am suggesting. Enough power is (and being capped at 80mW is simply not enough for some users.

The 68P's output power is just fine for most uses. If you need more than it can provide, chances are you should have several wireless access points in your house, instead of a single wireless router.
This is simply not the whole truth.
It is clearly demonstrated that the higher output power of the earlier Asus router (I mean previous firmware from before Asus capitulate for the FCC) gives better performance on longer distance. My clients (smartphones, tablets, laptops etc) work more reliable and with higher data throughput over 10 meters further away from the router (my big garden proofs that to me every day). So my clients do have enough RF-power to reach the router: no unbalance at all!

LoneWolf is talking with too much theory in mind ;)

For small appartments with not too much concrete walls the new low RF-power (demanded by FCC) might be enough.
Bigger houses and/or big gardens require the old maximum RF-power.

More access points around the house is nice for stationary clients, but when you walk around with a smartphone running a radio app (eg you listen to a news broadcaster over internet) you will be interrupted for several seconds the moment the smartphone switches from one AP to the other.

Last edited:
This is simply not the whole truth.
It is clearly demonstrated that the higher output power of the earlier Asus router (I mean previous firmware from before Asus capitulate for the FCC) gives better performance on longer distance. My clients (smartphones, tablets, laptops etc) work more reliable and with higher data throughput over 10 meters further away from the router (my big garden proofs that to me every day). So my clients do have enough RF-power to reach the router: no unbalance at all!

LoneWolf is talking with too much theory in mind ;)

For small appartments with not too much concrete walls the new low RF-power (demanded by FCC) might be enough.
Bigger houses and/or big gardens require the old maximum RF-power.

More access points around the house is nice for stationary clients, but when you walk around with a smartphone running a radio app (eg you listen to a news broadcaster over internet) you will be interrupted for several seconds the moment the smartphone switches from one AP to the other.
Just wondering, which router do you recommend?

EDIT: Never mind, I believe you signature just answered my question.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I find the 5GHz on the 68P to be very weak. Just going 30 feet from the router through glass french doors I lose all signal.

I find the 5GHz on the 68P to be very weak. Just going 30 feet from the router through glass french doors I lose all signal.

That stinks... I still have the AC68P sealed and I'm wondering if I should keep it or exchange it for the r7000 or something similiar/better?

That stinks... I still have the AC68P sealed and I'm wondering if I should keep it or exchange it for the r7000 or something similiar/better?
Mine works much better on the 5gHz band than the RT-N66u that it replaced... There are a lot of variables when dealing with wireless networking besides the router...

Mine works much better on the 5gHz band than the RT-N66u that it replaced... There are a lot of variables when dealing with wireless networking besides the router...
Are you using 68p model?

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I was ready to pull the trigger on an RT-AC68U until I came across the RT-AC68P. The upgraded processor is compelling, and in concept should only make the router better, but the SNB comparison between the two routers shows the 68U to have superior wireless performance over the newer 68P. Is this what people are seeing in the field, and if yes, has the reason for this been determined? Thanks much for your time.

Last edited:
I went with the 68P for the faster processor and manly antennas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!