What's new

RT-AC68P (with upgraded CPU, NOT R or U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm picking up both a 68U and 68P and will be comparing on equivalent Tx power levels.

I think BestBuy sells this version. I have a friend who tested it and said there was no benefit over his 68U.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Yeah, its $200 at BB. I found a new one online for $165. Should have it by Friday.

Bestbuy has the 68P on sale now for $160. Debating to get it or the 3100 for $279. Any thoughts?

I found out that the RC-AC68U that I bought on Amazon is a B1 revision, so its actually a 68P. (See discussion in other thread.) I verified processor and speed through the <cat /proc/cpuinfo> command. Amazon just dropped the price to $150.

I'm picking up both a 68U and 68P and will be comparing on equivalent Tx power levels.
I have done what your getting ready to do, and my AC68u performs way better on range than AC68p model. One year ago I ordered a new AC68u, while waiting I seen AC68p model at Best Buy and picked one up been using it for a year. Last weekend I opened AC68u model and am very happy, wish I had did that one year ago. Let me know what you find out

Regards

I have done what your getting ready to do, and my AC68u performs way better on range than AC68p model. One year ago I ordered a new AC68u, while waiting I seen AC68p model at Best Buy and picked one up been using it for a year. Last weekend I opened AC68u model and am very happy, wish I had did that one year ago. Let me know what you find out

Regards

Since my 68U is actually a 68P in disguise, I can't really do a comparison now. :( However, I have played with Tx power already, and it does make a clear improvement in 2.4 GHz download speed on the other side of the house. It also helped 5 GHz speed, but it never came close to catching up with 2.4 GHz.

Did you find that the default Tx power for the U and P were different? If so, what were they? Cheers...

Since my 68U is actually a 68P in disguise, I can't really do a comparison now. :( However, I have played with Tx power already, and it does make a clear improvement in 2.4 GHz download speed on the other side of the house. It also helped 5 GHz speed, but it never came close to catching up with 2.4 GHz.

Did you find that the default Tx power for the U and P were different? If so, what were they? Cheers...

I thought they both had same power (80). But at most distance from router my iphone and a roku 3 would not connect to router, to my suprise with 68u solid connection. Also tx/rx were both higher also. It might just be me. Last saturday I setup 68u and it upgraded to 378.9313 firmware the 68p is running Merlin firmware.

I found out that the RC-AC68U that I bought on Amazon is a B1 revision, so its actually a 68P. (See discussion in other thread.) I verified processor and speed through the <cat /proc/cpuinfo> command. Amazon just dropped the price to $150.

Good to know, wondering if you can tell me which thread(s) mention the B1 revision?

(Cross-posting this from a very similar thread.)

Well I just got mixed up in this MESS. Haha

Purchased a RT-AC1900 (no 'P') specifically because the Wikidev 802.11AC Hardware page said it has the BCM43602 wireless chipset. The box does say Hardware C1 and came with the 3.0.0.4.380.1842 firmware. The CFE is 1.1.1.2 and CPU revision C0 running 2 cores @ 1 GHz.

I knew about the Asus lockdown of firmware and didn't upgrade it with the newer stock, but immediately put Merlin 380.59 on it and it runs fine.

I used the 'dmesg' command and it shows BCM4360 6.37.14.126 (r561982). I am unsure if this is because I have the 380.59 Merlin and it may not have the BCM43602 driver in it or the Wikidev page was wrong...

And YES, it is RIDICULOUS how Asus has made this maddening array of hardware!

Just joined after reading and enjoying this forum for a LONG time! THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!