What's new

Rt-ac68r with next to nonexistent wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pierino

Very Senior Member
Like the title says. I can only pick up wifi on either band from no more than 1 foot away.
Any other uses for the router or should I junk it?

that does seem unusually bad, maybe a hardware fault. Try getting it replaced.

Another refurbished device? :)

It seems faulty HW by the description.

I agree but is it good for anything else or should I throw it away?

It can always be used as a wired router, but you can open it and look inside first, you will not loose anything, take a look at antenna connectors or any other visible issues.

I had a client reporting the same on a Linksys WRT54G and the connector soldering was broken inside, i have solder it again and it works like new. :)

I had already opened it. Nothing loose or disconnected.
Use it as as a switch ports, router mode or not?
You mean like adding ports to my existing router or something?

I had already opened it. Nothing loose or disconnected.
Use it as as a switch ports, router mode or not?
You mean like adding ports to my existing router or something?
Yes, If you require switch ports in your network (equivalent to a switch) you could use the device for that. Run a cable from your good router, to this device) Just remember to turn off DHCP etc.. Use it as a layer two switch..

I had a client reporting the same on a Linksys WRT54G and the connector soldering was broken inside, i have solder it again and it works like new. :)

You realize that your hourly rate is probably enough to make it more affordable to upgrade to even a cheap RT-N10, and triple the router's speed in the process, not mentionning this router is probably on its last leg due to its age? :)

Sure but that decision was not mine, the client is the boss. :)

Btw, that happened maybe 4-5 years ago, no RT-N10 existed at that time LOL :)

Sure but that decision was not mine, the client is the boss. :)

Btw, that happened maybe 4-5 years ago, no RT-N10 existed at that time LOL :)

Gotcha, that makes more sense now. Because between a diag + solder job on a 5-7 years old router and a 29$ RT-N10, I couldn't understand the customer's reasoning :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!