What's new

RT-AC68U 5G Channel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whsbuss

I usually leave my 5G settings at auto and it selects 149 all the time. I have tried the lower ones and there's no difference in the transmit rate or MCS index. Is it better to use the lower channels?

Use inSSIDer to see all the 5GHz ch being used in your area and use the one with the least on it. Higher or lower ch I don't notice any difference.

Lower channels, very much everywhere appart from China, are non-DFS channels. That translates: first 4 5GHz channels are not subject to radar detection; so it will never detect radar signals and be forced to restart and choose another channel.

If you don't live close to any airport you shouldn't care about it.

Do an wireless audit and if on the channel you currently are you see no other SSID on that particular channel or adjacent channels above or below, leave it as it is.

Well I use a Macbook pro so inSSIDer won't work.

They are so cute! It used to be free for Windows and "only" 3.99E for mac. Now it's "ONLY" $19.99 for either platform :(
Good business...

If you have an Android phone that supports 5GHz, use Wifi Analyzer. It's free and it does the job just perfect. If you are in the apple world...I don't know if you have other option than credit card ;)
Or Wifi Radar for Linux...also free and also perfect.

They are so cute! It used to be free for Windows and "only" 3.99E for mac. Now it's "ONLY" $19.99 for either platform :(
Good business...

If you have an Android phone that supports 5GHz, use Wifi Analyzer. It's free and it does the job just perfect. If you are in the apple world...I don't know if you have other option than credit card ;)
Or Wifi Radar for Linux...also free and also perfect.

In OS X you can option-click the wifi icon and it goes into wireless diagnostic mode. When I do a scan there are no 5G signals anywhere near me. Lots of 2.4G

Use inSSIDer to see all the 5GHz ch being used in your area and use the one with the least on it. Higher or lower ch I don't notice any difference.

I see a noticeable difference between the low and the high channels on 5 Ghz the higher channels 149 and above have higher output and a stronger signal verified with wifi analyzer.

Thanks Jim I'll have to check again.

Yep check it again i have seen this with all duel band routers i have used and thats why mine is parked on 157. :) I use the 5 Ghz band for all my clients and roku boxes the only thing i use on 2.4 is the kids tablets and phones. I am pleased with the 5 Ghz coverage of the AC68U works well and hands down better coverage then my N66U on that band. Now the 2.4 Ghz band with the N66U i think has better signal then the AC68U and much better with the older sdk5 builds.

Last edited:
Yep check it again i have seen this with all duel band routers i have used and thats why mine is parked on 157. :) I use the 5 Ghz band for all my clients and roku boxes the only thing i use on 2.4 is the kids tablets and phones. I am pleased with the 5 Ghz coverage of the AC68U works well and hands down better coverage then my N66U on that band. Now the 2.4 Ghz band with the N66U i think has better signal then the AC68U and much better with the older sdk5 builds.

I'm in a toss up between my N66U and N66W and leave either one in use on channel 153. Not sure what router I am getting next. The 5GHz band on the WRT1900AC was rock solid but the 2.4 was horrible so I had to remove it.

I'm in a toss up between my N66U and N66W and leave either one in use on channel 153. Not sure what router I am getting next. The 5GHz band on the WRT1900AC was rock solid but the 2.4 was horrible so I had to remove it.

Agree i do alot of reading in forums and the like and it seems all newer routers seem to have issues with one thing or the other. All these venders seem to use there customers as beta testers. I think these newer routers just have to many features and it causes problems i for one would just like a rock solid router for routing and forget all the add on's.

Hold down the OPTION KEY (left) when you click the WIFI fan on the Menu bar.
It shows mac transmit speed on it.
I use all Apple (iMac(2)/Mac Mini/Macbook Pro/Macbook)
I also use Wi-FI analyzer on my Android phones.
it's free and shows 2.4 and 5 ghz (if phone has dual band)
Also the Amped Wireless google play app too

also on mac there is Wi-Fi Explorer
itunes/mac app store

I've noticed that the higher channels seem to have better coverage. I have the xmit power for 5G set at 100mw

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!