What's new

RT-AC68U 5Ghz Wifi setting recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IGMP Snooping enabled by default on newer routers and Apple AirPlay issues is another. Most mobile devices use own power saving mechanisms and ignore WMM APSD as well, also enabled by default and sometimes creating issues with IoTs. I remember posting "fail safe" Wi-Fi settings, but there is always someone with "leave everything on default" advice. This advice is easier to follow when it's not very clear what the settings do.

IGMP Snooping enabled by default on newer routers and Apple AirPlay issues is another. Most mobile devices use own power saving mechanisms and ignore WMM APSD as well, also enabled by default and sometimes creating issues with IoTs. I remember posting "fail safe" Wi-Fi settings, but there is always someone with "leave everything on default" advice. This advice is easier to follow when it's not very clear what the settings do.

Problem is the defaults seem to keep changing (or as new settings/features get introduced, the defaults don't seem to make sense). At some point the "leave it at default and don't touch it" was good advice (and in many cases is still good advise, just not necessarily in the latest Asus firmwares). I have IGMP snooping disabled on wireless and enabled on the LAN but since nothing I use at home uses multicast (other than MDNS which could care less about snooping) it really doesn't matter. I don't remember what the default setting is on wireless for snooping, so I don't even remember if I changed that.

Multicast/IGMP is a whole other can of worms.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!