What's new

RT-AC68U as a repeater mode for my providers WIFI, not connecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Milly

New Around Here
Hoping someone can help me out as i have spent 3 hours trying to get my AC68U in repeater mode to connect to my providers router/modem to extend the wifi.

Reason I am doing it wireless, is because i have no way of hardwiring to where the AC68U is going to be located. ( and i didnt want to spend money on powerline adapters )

Step 1. I set the AC68U to repeater mode.
Step 2. Scan for my providers Modem/Routers Wifi.
Step 3. Connect to the providers Modem/Routers WIFI.
Step 4. Assign the IP ( have tried both auto and manual )
Step 5. AC68U applies settings and extends the network ( RPT + RPT5G)
Step 6. Connect to the AC68U wireless via my laptop
Step 7. Get a message saying " unable to connect to Parent AP" (see image below).

In the end no matter what I do i cannot get the asus AC68U in repeater mode to connect to my WIFI and extend it.

What am i doing wrong? In addition i have gone as far as connecting an old Dlink Router to my modem, and trying to get the AC68U to connect to that router instead, same thing, will not connect to the dlink wifi.

Thanks

Attachments

• Repeater.jpg
    Repeater.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,826
Hoping someone can help me out as i have spent 3 hours trying to get my AC68U in repeater mode to connect to my providers router/modem to extend the wifi.

Reason I am doing it wireless, is because i have no way of hardwiring to where the AC68U is going to be located. ( and i didnt want to spend money on powerline adapters )

Step 1. I set the AC68U to repeater mode.
Step 2. Scan for my providers Modem/Routers Wifi.
Step 3. Connect to the providers Modem/Routers WIFI.
Step 4. Assign the IP ( have tried both auto and manual )
Step 5. AC68U applies settings and extends the network ( RPT + RPT5G)
Step 6. Connect to the AC68U wireless via my laptop
Step 7. Get a message saying " unable to connect to Parent AP" (see image below).

In the end no matter what I do i cannot get the asus AC68U in repeater mode to connect to my WIFI and extend it.

What am i doing wrong? In addition i have gone as far as connecting an old Dlink Router to my modem, and trying to get the AC68U to connect to that router instead, same thing, will not connect to the dlink wifi.

Thanks

first thing your doing wrong is using the app

connect a laptop to the rt-ac68u via ethernet and set it up from there , you go to administration and operation mode

ensure the rt-ac68u is within good range of the primary modem and do the setup

should work fine , check the laptop can get the internet when connected to the rt-ac68u

then connect your phone to the ( RPT + RPT5G) and it should have internet

Thanks so much for your reply. Soon after I posted this I ended up doing it through the laptop hard wired and same result. The ac68u, just won’t connect to the wifi from the providers modem/ router which is a home hub 1000

i gave up after spending a whole day on this trying to get it to connect to the modem wifi, and just ended up drilling some holes and hard wiring it. Tried 3 different firmware and still no go.

Frustrating !!!!

this is a late response but I just had a similar problem with my RT AC66U and changing my main router auth from wpa2 to wpa+wpa2 did the trick.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!