What's new

Solved RT-AC68U bricked after update to 386.7_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Starym

Occasional Visitor
I recently updated my RT-AX88U to 387.8 and my AIMesh RT-AC68U to 386.7_2 through the Administration interface on the AX88U. After the update on my AC68U it didn't come back online. I couldn't get any connection to it and the Power button was flashing. So I did a hard reset, held in the WPS button while powering on and managed to get it into CFE Miniweb Server interface. However every attempt to upload a new image, weather it be from Asus or Merlin, fails. I tried the Firmware Restoration rescue tool from Asus and it fails the upload at around 40% and states "Failed to recover the system".

Is the router bricked? Any tips?

Not clear to me if the router is actually in recovery mode just because the power LED is flashing and/or the CFE webserver is present. Perhaps it is, but for now, I'm NOT going to make that assumption.

When all else fails, here's what always works for me w/ that particular router.

Note, I rely on an tftp client (Windows or Linux) for the purposes of uploading the new firmware.

1) Power OFF the router.
2) While holding in the reset, wps, and wifi buttons, power ON the router.
3) Wait for the power LED to flash *quickly* (usually takes 10-15 seconds).

This completes the *hard* reset.

4) Power OFF the router.
5) While holding in *only* the reset button, power ON the router.
6) Wait for power LED to flash *slowly* (usually takes 3-5 seconds).

The router should now be in recovery mode and ready to accept the upgrade via tftp.

IOW, this is a two step process. The "trick" is step #1, the hard reset. This makes the router receptive to step #2 (entering recovery mode). If you don't do the hard reset first and just try to directly enter recovery mode, it probably won't work. Not unless and until you eventually do the hard reset out of frustration!

At least this has worked very well for me.

I tried the Firmware Restoration rescue tool from Asus and it fails the upload at around 40% and states "Failed to recover the system".

You have to load Asuswrt 386.41634 to recover your router. Newer double firmware files (V4 support) won't load in Firmware Restoration Tool. After it boots to 386.41634, update the firmware. Keep the node on stock Asuswrt to avoid issues. You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on the node.

You have to load Asuswrt 386.41634 to recover your router. Newer double firmware files (V4 support) won't load in Firmware Restoration Tool. After it boots to 386.41634, update the firmware. Keep the node on stock Asuswrt to avoid issues. You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on the node.
This worked! Thank you so much.

That's what searching (and researching) is for. No stickies are required.

I just ordered 68U for AI mesh purpose, could someone please tell me what I should do first? avoid etc

Nothing much. If you can't add it wirelessly as AiMesh node to your AC86U running Asuswrt-Merlin, try again wired.