What's new

RT-AC68U CPU spec

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How many different hardware revisions were there for the WRT54G? They had different amount of RAM and flashes, and even had a different OS at some point (VxWorks).

17 for the WRT54G alone...

The variants trading on the name...

11 for WRT54GS
2 for WRT54GL

There were 4 for the WRT54G2...

And that was a true mess - and I've not covered all the different variants of that family of devices - some linux, some VXWorks, and some still very useful (and some worth binning in the e-Waste bucket)...

FWIW - I still have on my bookshelf a WRT54G v1.1, sitting along side an old NSLU2 (Slug) - couldn't bear to toss those two device, based on the contributions those two devices, and the Linksys GPL drops have done for the current crop of devices now...

Much of that old WRT54G/NSLU2 DNA is in devices now... and the slug bootstrapped a lot of the ARM based Router/AP's in 802.11ac world...

(The slug was always ARM, WRT was MIPS)

Entware/Optware - the slug was the base there...

17 for the WRT54G alone...

The variants trading on the name...

11 for WRT54GS
2 for WRT54GL

There were 4 for the WRT54G2...

And that was a true mess - and I've not covered all the different variants of that family of devices - some linux, some VXWorks, and some still very useful (and some worth binning in the e-Waste bucket)...

FWIW - I still have on my bookshelf a WRT54G v1.1, sitting along side an old NSLU2 (Slug) - couldn't bear to toss those two device, based on the contributions those two devices, and the Linksys GPL drops have done for the current crop of devices now...

Much of that old WRT54G/NSLU2 DNA is in devices now... and the slug bootstrapped a lot of the ARM based Router/AP's in 802.11ac world...

(The slug was always ARM, WRT was MIPS)

Entware/Optware - the slug was the base there...

I've still got my WRT54GS v5.1. I had it for a few years at least, before installing DD-WRT micro on it. I took a while to go this route, because there's no way back to VxWorks for this version.

Last December we ordered one from our suppliers for a customer, and it was an HW Rev B1, with 1 GHz CPU. Last week we ordered another one for another customer, and it was the HW rev A2 with the 800 MHz CPU. It all depends on what the supplier has in stock.

Proof:

Bought a router marketed as RT-AC66U (not the B1 model, that was a separate listing, separate SKU). Turned out they were out of the regular model, so the warehouse guy just grabbed a B1 and sold it as a regular model. I didn't notice this until I got home and unpacked it. Had to delete my folder with all the downloaded 3rd party firmwares (and stock ones too). Not that I can complain, the B1 model actually costs roughly 50$ more.

Bought a router marketed as RT-AC66U (not the B1 model, that was a separate listing, separate SKU).
This thread is about the AC68U, not the 66U. The B1 with regards to a 68U is a completely different animal than the B1 with respect to the 66U.

This thread is about the AC68U, not the 66U. The B1 with regards to a 68U is a completely different animal than the B1 with respect to the 66U.

Looks like my point went right over your head.

Let me explain it then: manufacturers often have major changes in the router (especially the AC66U_B1 (not HW revision!), since it's virtually identical to the AC68U rev. C0, unlike the "regular" AC66U), sometimes so huge that it could even be a brand new model version, but most stores are not aware of this, and do not indicate HW revision or even proper model on their website or even in store. I was sold an AC66U_B1 while I was buying a regular ol' AC66U. Not that I'd complain, since it's a bargain, getting it 50$ cheaper.

So the point is, until the moment you hold the box in your hand and check the label, it's pretty much a blind buy. Especially with some store's attitude - they requested an AC68U rev D1, we only have the B1 in store, let's send them that, they'll never notice... Also lots of false advertisement since most webshops check the website and ignore revision information, and put the best looking specs on their website.

My overcloked RT-AC68U is A2 and has FA support! (as per the AsusWRT-Merlin firmware)

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 2798.38

processor       : 1
BogoMIPS        : 2798.38

Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x3
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 0

Hardware        : Northstar Prototype
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

Does that make any sens?

How did you manage to overclock your router? I have the exact same model.

More to the point, why would you overclock it that aggressively?... 1400MHz on a passively cooled 800MHz CPU doesn't sound very wise to me....

Zombie thread, so I doubt you'll get an answer.

My RT-AC1900P had a 1400MHz cpu in it from the factory. I replaced it with a second RT-AC86U for my AiMesh setup.
The RT-AC1900P ran flawlessly. I sold it to my neighbor.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!