What's new

RT-AC68U DHCP issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seriously. We moved in 2.5 months ago, and had to switch from FIOS to Comcast. Haven't had an issue with Fios for 6 years, and Comcast/This equipment hasn't worked for more than 24 hours at a time. Very annoying.

Some of the CM8200 reviews on Amazon.com complain about it not working with Comcast.

OE

Seriously. We moved in 2.5 months ago, and had to switch from FIOS to Comcast. Haven't had an issue with Fios for 6 years, and Comcast/This equipment hasn't worked for more than 24 hours at a time. Very annoying.

Did you try bypassing router, just plug one device onto modem and see what happens.

Some of the CM8200 reviews on Amazon.com complain about it not working with Comcast.

OE

Yeah, that's just because the CM8200 is the OEM version of the SB8200. The SB is a recommended modem, but the CM is OEM equipment for them and... Charter? Cox? One of them.

We have it registered as a SB8200 and the speed tests are going fine. 850-900 down, 40 up.

Did you try bypassing router, just plug one device onto modem and see what happens.

No, simply because it only happens 3-4 timers per day. If I try going direct into the modem while the router is acting up, it works fine.

Have you tried escalating to higher tier support at Comcast... somebody that knows their stuff and has probably solved this issue before, even if only related to ASUS routers? You typically have to be firm (and polite) with them to get to more experienced support.

OE

Noted. Except A: the CM version is $100 less than the SB, and B: many (MANY!) people have it up and running on Comcast just fine.

Again, the modem works perfectly fine. It's been going over 2 days now when I'm NOT using the AC68U. If it was an incompatible modem, it would crap the bed with the Netgear too, no? Well, the Netgear is working perfectly fine.

With all due respect, all signs point to a router issue, not a modem issue.

Noted. Except A: the CM version is $100 less than the SB, and B: many (MANY!) people have it up and running on Comcast just fine.

Again, the modem works perfectly fine. It's been going over 2 days now when I'm NOT using the AC68U. If it was an incompatible modem, it would crap the bed with the Netgear too, no? Well, the Netgear is working perfectly fine.

With all due respect, all signs point to a router issue, not a modem issue.

So, leave it up and running with a non-ASUS router and let us know if it ever craps the bed. :)

OE

With all due respect, all signs point to a router issue, not a modem issue.[/QUO

Most likely firmware is different between two. My ISP won't allow privately owned modem..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!