What's new

RT-AC68U Internet always shows disconnected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ForkWNY

At a relative's house in FL for the week...she has a RT-AC68U running the latest firmware, : 3.0.0.4.386_48262-g5071673. No matter what I do, the Internet status always shows as disconnected, even though the Internet connectivity works perfectly fine and the router gets an IP via DHCP on the WAN - I've set up ping/DNS query, changed DNS servers many times over, nothing clears out this disconnected status. I also Factory reset router TWICE and initialized all settings/logs, rebooted many times.

I've read a few threads regarding others resolving this issue, nothing seems to work.

Any additional ideas or tips I may be missing out on? I've posted screenshots of the current config - the network monitoring DNS query/ping I've enabled/disabled several times, doesn't make a difference. Because of this issue, none of the traffic logs or network map seems to work, only shows 1 connected wireless client.

1652019698105.png

1652019730561.png

1652019751348.png

1652019854573.png

Last edited:
It looks like the router doesn't have a working WAN DNS as it can't even set it's time via NTP.

I've set WAN DNS to cloudflared, DNS seems to work fine from all clients.

You are correct though, it won't sync with the NTP server.

1652020457533.png

It looks like you're overriding the WAN DNS servers with DNSFilter (or whatever the equivalent is in stock firmware). It appears the reason the LAN clients work is because you've overridden the router's DNS server in the LAN>DHCP options.

I suggest that as a test you remove the DNSFilter (use the ISP default servers) and change the LAN>DHCP settings back to their default values.

I suspected that as well...when I set the DNS server to pull from the ISP and set DHCP to default, still the same results, Internet connection shows as disconnected. All the network tools, etc. work fine within the router, and there are no network connection issues outbound. Network map list remains unpopulated and no traffic analyzer logs.

I suspected that as well...when I set the DNS server to pull from the ISP and set DHCP to default, still the same results, Internet connection shows as disconnected. All the network tools, etc. work fine within the router, and there are no network connection issues outbound. Network map list remains unpopulated and no traffic analyzer logs.
Does using this default setup fix the problem with the router not being able to set it's time from NTP?

The only setting I suggest you change is this one as the default values (even when that option is turned off) appear to cause the false disconnected message for some people.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!