What's new

RT-AC68U QoS questions and results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TnF

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys.
After Battle(non)sense made a video regarding bufferbloat recently i've decided to test my connection.
Testing at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest i immediately got a C while watching the huge ping spikes i was getting.

I have a DOCSIS 3.0/ 60 mbps down/5 mbps up connection running to the modem which connects to the WAN port of my RT-AC68U running the latest ASUSWRT-merlin firmware.
I already had adaptive QoS enabled and configured with fq_codel so the results really surprised me.

Playing around to see if i could get better results with adaptive QoS resulted in no improvement.

Then i configured traditional QoS, and after some playing around i finally ended up getting A+ overall and A bufferbloat result. However i am losing 15% of my bandwidth (45mbps) and while i tried to improve it, it lowers my bufferbloat rating.

Here are my settings:
Ivu4y6l.png

GDHTsRH.png

t8fK4b4.png

So my questions are:
- Can i do anything to reduce the bandwidth loss or is the overhead that much?
- Why doesn't adaptive QoS work as expected?
- In adaptive QoS i can see more applications listed unlike what's available in traditional QoS, for example PUBG is not listed (one game i play regularly)
- Should i check ATM since my connection is not symmetrical, or is it related only to the network technology used?

Kind regards

Have a read of this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/ and you should see dramatic improvements running this script with adaptive QoS. I find mine only works properly once it's been through the overnight checks after a reboot so I have a reboot scheduled at 2am each night, but this might be overkill.

From my experience I would think you can set 58mbps down (as this isn't as important) and 4-4.5mbps upload but you'd have to try.

Hello guys.
After Battle(non)sense made a video regarding bufferbloat recently i've decided to test my connection.
Testing at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest i immediately got a C while watching the huge ping spikes i was getting.

I have a DOCSIS 3.0/ 60 mbps down/5 mbps up connection running to the modem which connects to the WAN port of my RT-AC68U running the latest ASUSWRT-merlin firmware.
I already had adaptive QoS enabled and configured with fq_codel so the results really surprised me.

Playing around to see if i could get better results with adaptive QoS resulted in no improvement.

Then i configured traditional QoS, and after some playing around i finally ended up getting A+ overall and A bufferbloat result. However i am losing 15% of my bandwidth (45mbps) and while i tried to improve it, it lowers my bufferbloat rating.

Here are my settings:
Ivu4y6l.png

GDHTsRH.png

t8fK4b4.png

So my questions are:
- Can i do anything to reduce the bandwidth loss or is the overhead that much?
- Why doesn't adaptive QoS work as expected?
- In adaptive QoS i can see more applications listed unlike what's available in traditional QoS, for example PUBG is not listed (one game i play regularly)
- Should i check ATM since my connection is not symmetrical, or is it related only to the network technology used?

Kind regards
I only used Traditional QoS on John’s fork, but the order of the rules in the GUI was important. In your case, your rule for TNF-PC should be first in the list, then all the others, which means deleting them and re-adding them, or learning how to edit the nvram variable at the command line.

I may be out of date on Merlin’s TQoS but I don’t think there’s been much innovation lately for Traditional.

These 2 answers before mine ^ are key. They were for me, if only to appreciate the power afforded you at your fingertips:
Read the top few posts of the FreshJR thread and then play with the speed settings on the QoS page, and prioritize your traffic.
A brand net Internet experience awaits.

Thanks guys. I've read FreshJR's thread and he is indeed right, factory Adaptive QoS is problematic. I'll give it a try, hopefully it doesn't mess up bufferbloat performance as even factory QoS did a good job optimising to use my whole bandwidth. I'll report back.

Update: I found Adaptive QoS when set to manual bandwidth limit works just fine. The problem is the automatic setting, which doesn't work (and even FreshJR happens to mention it i found out later) and they should remove it from the FW.
I've tried FreshJR mod as well and it is even better. I can get all A+ in the tests :)