What's new

RT-AC68U random crashes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I have only had my RT-AC68U a short time (2-3 weeks) but recently the Internet has suddenly stopped working a couple of times and I have been unable to access the router until after a reboot (but the lights remained on as normal). I have temporarily reflashed it with a stable Tomato build to try to determine whether it's a firmware issue or whether it's the hardware. I was using the latest Merlin build when the crashes happened and I heard someone else mention on this forum that the new Trend features were the cause of his crashing woes. I plan to leave the Tomato firmware on for a few days and if all is well, I'll reflash with Merlin's latest build, but leave the Trend stuff switched off for a while to see what happens. Is there anything else I should try?

So many questions. What was the original firmware version? What did you flash it too (specifically)? Did you update the Asus firmware at any time? Did you do a reset to factory defaults after flashing a new/different firmware?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Fyi, 'latest build' means nothing. Be specific so people have a better chance of helping you or at least determining if a bug actually exists. ;)

So many questions. What was the original firmware version? What did you flash it too (specifically)? Did you update the Asus firmware at any time? Did you do a reset to factory defaults after flashing a new/different firmware?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Fyi, 'latest build' means nothing. Be specific so people have a better chance of helping you or at least determining if a bug actually exists. ;)
OK:-
  • Merlin Build 380.58 from Tomato Build 132
  • Prior to that, Merlin Build 380.58
  • Prior to that, Merlin Build 380.57
  • Prior to that, Asus stock firmware 3.0.0.4_380_1842-g7414eb9
  • Cleared NVRAM (WPS button method first and then reset button) before and after flashing, but not when originally upgrading Merlin Build 380.57 to 380.58. Used saved configuration when returning from Tomato to Merlin Build 380.58.
Does that help?

380.58 and all of Asus's 380_1xxx releases are known to be unstable on the RT-AC68U.

380.58 and all of Asus's 380_1xxx releases are known to be unstable on the RT-AC68U.
Thanks for that. Would you advise therefore that I put Build 380.57 back on, clear the NVRAM and rebuild the configuration from scratch?

Thanks for that. Would you advise therefore that I put Build 380.57 back on, clear the NVRAM and rebuild the configuration from scratch?

380.57 is actually even worse on the RT-AC68U. In 380.58 I downgraded the wireless driver which helped resolve most stability issues, but it might still not be 100% stable. I recommend first trying a factory default reset with 380.58, and if it still fails, downgrade to 378.56_2.

I've gone for the 378.56_2 build, just to be on the safe side. I've also managed to backup my settings with John's Tool, so does that mean that when a new stable release comes out, I should be able to restore all relevant settings?