What's new

RT-AC68U repeater mode VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lloyd Marozwa

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have an RT-AC68U router setup for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi in repeater mode. on stock firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_4164.

I also have Strong Vpn account which I want to setup on my RT-AC68U router since I don't have control over the main DSL modem downstairs, it belongs to my landlord. I can only connect and use wifi internet.

1 Current setup DSL modem downstairs connected to the wall

2 RT-AC68U in my bedroom connected to DSL model via wireless

3 My Pc connected to the RT-AC68U either by wifi or ethernet.

Initially, when I try to setup RT-AC68U router I can see the option in the GUI to config VPN. But once I switch to repeater mode I can't see options for VPN anymore.

Can the repeater link support VPN or not, or am I just misunderstanding how this works?

regards.

VPN client is not available in Repeater mode. Looks like you'll have to install the VPN client on your PC rather than the RT-AC68U.

Side note: From your description, what you are calling a "DSL modem" is in fact a combination DSL modem and wireless router.

VPN client is not available in Repeater mode. Looks like you'll have to install the VPN client on your PC rather than the RT-AC68U.

Side note: From your description, what you are calling a "DSL modem" is in fact a combination DSL modem and wireless router.

Hi, Colin thanks for the response I thought so VPN won't be available in repeater mode. I already have VPN on my PC but the reason why I wanted that option for my router is my TV and firestick which I can't physically install VPN the only option will be through the router. So it looks like I have hit a dead end...:confused:

You might have better luck by installing a third party firmware like Tomato (or Advanced Tomato). I don't know, I've never used either.

I'd speculate that to get the VPN client to work the Asus needs to be in "router" mode. But the problem with that is the WAN connection. Maybe Tomato will allow you to use one of the wireless bands (2.4GHz or 5GHz) as a WAN Wireless Client connection to your landlords router. Just guessing here.

I know this is an old post but I'm taking a remote job and moving out of the country and want to do exactly this. Because I'm not telling the company and want them to think I'm still in the US. Here is the solution that I have found.
I am using an Asus RT-AC68U and a GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext which is about $70. I using the GL to connect to an existing wifi and then wire the internet over to the wan of the asus. The asus is then setup with the openvpn.
I know its not as convenient as just using one router but it works.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!