What's new

RT-AC68U+RT-AC57U V3 upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Epi

Occasional Visitor
Hi!
Initially, years ago, I bought RT-AC68U and was happy with it until I moved to my new (existing) home. Here walls are very thick, and in the bedroom I started to lose signal. I had to buy RT-AC57U V3 and add it as a node. Connection is wired. (see image attached).
Now, while walking around the apartment during voice/videocalls I have interruption of about 10 seconds when I'm being switched router to node and vice versa. I've played with settings here and there, and were not able to fix this.

1. I quite tired of these network interruptions, so I'm looking to find something with, at least, 30% range increase in actual environment compared to AC68U.
2. I don't want router + node setup. One good router and that's it.
3. My internet connection is 200 Mbps both up and down (speedtest results). Its limited to this number by the provider. Max speed available for now is 1000 Mbps. It would be great for router to be compatible to handle such speeds.
4. I have quite a lot of smart home devices here and there, so usually there are at least 20-30 devices in my wifi network.
5. In my current setup I have two network ssid' s, one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz networks. If I'm not mistaken, newer routers have a possibility of having one SSID and then deciding internally on either 2.4 or 5 network is used. I need a router with this option.

As for the budget, I'm looking for the best price/performance. I don't care about fancy LEDs at all, nor the esthetics. I can spend, let' s say up to €400/$450 on the device, but would be happy to spend less - 200-250. Bet the price is not the main decisionmaker, I really want a good device with a long support lifecycle from Merlin.

I see many threads regarding GT-AX6000, but I am not sure it will solve the issues stated above.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-17 213415.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-17 213415.png
    478.6 KB · Views: 53
No one will be able to give you a recommendation that will solve your problem. You will need to test in your environment no matter what is offered.

The GT-AX6000 is where I would start. It's the most balanced (hardware) router Asus offers today with the best performance at the lowest price. Be sure you pick one or two up when they're on sale. You can always test just one, and if needed, the other too, and return what you don't need.

No one will be able to give you a recommendation that will solve your problem. You will need to test in your environment no matter what is offered.

The GT-AX6000 is where I would start. It's the most balanced (hardware) router Asus offers today with the best performance at the lowest price. Be sure you pick one or two up when they're on sale. You can always test just one, and if needed, the other too, and return what you don't need.

Thanks for your reply.

Does GT-AX6000 cover all my other requirements, except for the range which I need to test?
And what would be the advancement route? RT-AX6000 -> ??? -> ???

2x GT-AX6000 is what you may need if you can't locate the main router where it is needed/required in your home.

For thick walls, wired nodes are almost a necessity.

Everything else in your requirements should be met easily with this router model.

The only other router I would test would be the GT-AXE16000 in your home. But, you may still need a node, even then.

Reactions: Epi
I see many threads regarding GT-AX6000, but I am not sure it will solve the issues stated above.

Think about some more serious equipment with wired access points. This will solve your Wi-Fi issues.