What's new

RT-AC68U tools/uptime display loses time -- on CHROME

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lighting

Regular Contributor
I guess this is more a curiosity than a serious problem.

I have an RT-AC86U for my home and office. I've spent the last few weeks struggling with getting rMerlin 384.14_2 on it -- I had random reboots and some other weird behavior with the new code. I switched back to 384.13 a couple of times before I broke down and did a factory reset and manual reconfiguration, which seems to have solved the problem.

In the process I have been monitoring the router's uptime on the GUI Tools page, over hours and even multiple days, to watch for spurious reboots. Now that I don't have reboots I'm surprised to see that the uptime display, left to just click away, runs at a fraction of real time. I had a four hour period this morning when the uptime display advanced by less than two hours (which looks rather as though there was a spurious reboot!). But a reload on the browser brings it up to an accurate count. I've seen this on both 384.13 and 384.14_2.

As I was writing this it occurred to me I should try a different browser. I've been using using Chrome browser on a Mac. Voila! -- no problem with Firefox. Something in the way Chrome is handling the uptime clock field isn't right. I'm going to stop using Chrome, at least for router management duty.

I guess this is more a curiosity than a serious problem.

I have an RT-AC86U for my home and office. I've spent the last few weeks struggling with getting rMerlin 384.14_2 on it -- I had random reboots and some other weird behavior with the new code. I switched back to 384.13 a couple of times before I broke down and did a factory reset and manual reconfiguration, which seems to have solved the problem.

In the process I have been monitoring the router's uptime on the GUI Tools page, over hours and even multiple days, to watch for spurious reboots. Now that I don't have reboots I'm surprised to see that the uptime display, left to just click away, runs at a fraction of real time. I had a four hour period this morning when the uptime display advanced by less than two hours (which looks rather as though there was a spurious reboot!). But a reload on the browser brings it up to an accurate count. I've seen this on both 384.13 and 384.14_2.

As I was writing this it occurred to me I should try a different browser. I've been using using Chrome browser on a Mac. Voila! -- no problem with Firefox. Something in the way Chrome is handling the uptime clock field isn't right. I'm going to stop using Chrome, at least for router management duty.
Actually a refresh of the page or even a Ctrl or Shift + F5 on the keyboard.

I recommend installing uptime monitoring (conmon) and perhaps speedtest, that's exactly why I'm using it.

https://github.com/jackyaz/connmon

To my surprise while I noticed my webcam was offline today for 1hr, I can see that uptime monitoring nd speedtest wasn't working since 3 days, ouch :)

Screenshot_20200122-192920_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200122-195705_Chrome.jpg

I suspect my router must have had several reboots, but possible a bigger issue since both monitoring tools stopped working for so long.

I'm wondering if there is a way to log reboots or if they can be easily viewed and extracted from the syslog?

How would you guys troubleshoot this?

Last edited:
I use scribe, so my log is at /opt/var/log/messages, and any reboot starts with a syslogd message, so
Code:
cat /opt/var/log/messages | grep "syslogd started" -B 1
tells me how many restarts are in my current log, and the time it kicked off.

Yours might be at /tmp/syslog.log.
Code:
Jan  6 18:21:34 RT-AC86U Mastiff: Got SIGTERM
May  5 01:05:10 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1
--
Jan 14 15:03:12 RT-AC86U Diversion: disabling services for unmount, from /opt/bin/diversion
--
Jan 18 08:58:17 RT-AC86U Mastiff: Got SIGTERM
--
Jan 18 09:00:06 RT-AC86U kernel: nf_conntrack: automatic helper assignment is deprecated and it will be removed soon. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.

I use scribe, so my log is at /opt/var/log/messages, and any reboot starts with a syslogd message, so
Code:
cat /opt/var/log/messages | grep "syslogd started" -B 1
tells me how many restarts are in my current log, and the time it kicked off.

Yours might be at /tmp/syslog.log.
Code:
Jan  6 18:21:34 RT-AC86U Mastiff: Got SIGTERM
--
Jan 14 15:03:12 RT-AC86U Diversion: disabling services for unmount, from /opt/bin/diversion
--
Jan 18 08:58:17 RT-AC86U Mastiff: Got SIGTERM
--
Jan 18 09:00:06 RT-AC86U kernel: nf_conntrack: automatic helper assignment is deprecated and it will be removed soon. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.

Cool, I just installed scribe and will check out the log files soon for reboots.

I wish I could monitor also what processes may take up too much CPU instead of realtime htop.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!