What's new

RT-AC68U Youtube issues.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

misterz100

New Around Here
Since getting 384.4_2 I have been having massive issues with youtube and buffering. After hopping it would go away, pulling my hair out checking the settings, initializing the router and I contacted the ISP, they suggested fo course bypassing the router directly to my PC and lo and behold no more issues, so I went back to the latest stock and its functional at the moment 384.20648. Now the router at work is the same and also had Merlin and also has this youtube problem, so I think there is an issue with the latest Merlin firmware release dose anybody else have this issue?

Extra info: my ISP is Wightman its a fiber optic network and I connect my router or PC directly to the ONT

I was having issues with the video Stalling out half way through on my firetv with 382 but the issue went away in 384 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to stuff like this I would literally pay somebody to explain to me what is happening, like, why, why can I download a game at max speed and have extremely low pings and Youtube wont load???

When it comes to stuff like this I would literally pay somebody to explain to me what is happening, like, why, why can I download a game at max speed and have extremely low pings and Youtube wont load???

First, make sure you use your ISP's DNS. Using a third party DNS means you might end up connecting a remote Youtube server that's far away.

First, make sure you use your ISP's DNS. Using a third party DNS means you might end up connecting a remote Youtube server that's far away.
Been running google DNS for months and no problems, its just such a sudden issue, lets see if it sticks with stock firmware and auto DNS. Then I will try upgrading to Merlin once more and see, maybe and I am thinking that ther might have been an issue where even when it was on auto DNS on MErlin that it might have still been using google DNS? I am not sure we will see I guess. The worst part is every time I reboot the router youtube works flawlessly but then the problem comes back later. So diagnosing is very hard and long as I don't see if what I did fixed it for hours sometimes.
I hope this was coherent I must sleep lol

Also at work I never used Google DNS and it dose the same on the same router. I even tried upgrading to 384.5_beta2 to no avail, everything is default setting except for custom wifi settings and a few open ports for Synology.
I am using remote desktop to my server with the stock router firmware from work and streaming the same youtube video uninterrupted while the same video is still buffering at work, so I guess I will have to stick with stock until the issue is resolved.

Last edited:
So the firmware was not the issue, after a couple days the issues came back, and now even when I connect directly, its worse at certain times of day and its very random at times, I re-contacted the ISP to see whats going on, I am glad its not my router or the firmware x.x
Sorry for all the trouble its been a weird frustrating experience...

Try the freshjr qos script for adaptive qos see if that helps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!