What's new

RT-AC86U/68U question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you. I appreciate your, and others input on this. As I stated above, most of the cool features of the AC86U are not of use to me. However, one of the main reasons I need to upgrade from my perfectly good TP-Link router is security. I need frequent firmware upgrades and it's obvious Asus will provide this longer on a newer release router.

I'm amazed when looking at Amazon ratings that many routers will have 75% of buyers pleased while 25% say it's junk. I really believe heat kills many of these products. Routers just don't seem to have the needed ventilation, and we know what that does to electronics of any type. I would be curious to hear from others about techniques used to cool routers.

Consumer reviews... consider only the recent ones, a few pro and a few con, written thoughtfully and to the point by someone who appears to know what they are talking about. Ignore the rest.

Early on, consumer reviews were more reliable/useful because they were "recent ones, a few pro and a few con, written thoughtfully and to the point by someone who appears to know what they are talking about". Now there is much more noise posted, so you have to filter that out.

Same has happened to product reviews... they use to be less numerous and more reliable/useful. Now there is much more marketing noise and less substance, so you have to filter that out.

OE

I have ordered an AC86U. After reading many posts, I still have concerns about the reliability of this router. Overall, are recently manufactured AC86's exhibiting better stability? I'm also wondering if many of the issues are heat related. I have kept my current modem and router well ventilated and enjoyed excellent stability for over 3 years.

I really wanted to go with the RT-AC66U_B1 but could not resist taking a chance..

My friend, I have an AC86U for over 1 year now and I've been using Merlin FW for about 10 months. The power of use and stability of this router has been unmatched in my personal experience. Also this forum has helped me a lot on configuring my connection to a well known and fine tuned state. My advice: follow L&LD M&M config and you will be alright. Then, you can venture yourself in this vast ocean of WiFi wonder.

Unless your Asus router is getting so hot that it is throttling performance or shutting down, ignore your quest to cool these routers below their normal. (The SoC's are spec'd to 140C if memory serves correctly and they will shut down (protection) at just over 100C).

With a few RT-AC68U's running in the 94C range and even an RT-AC3100 running at 92C average, the networks are still working and in use with those original routers.

Does a cooler environment help? Of course. But adding cooling elements to one running at expected specs is just worrying about nothing, IMO.

My friend, I have an AC86U for over 1 year now and I've been using Merlin FW for about 10 months. The power of use and stability of this router has been unmatched in my personal experience. Also this forum has helped me a lot on configuring my connection to a well known and fine tuned state. My advice: follow L&LD M&M config and you will be alright. Then, you can venture yourself in this vast ocean of WiFi wonder.

These kinds of comments make me feel secure in my decision. This forum is one of the reasons I went with Asus. It's great to have a source to go to when solving problems or trying new configurations. And yes, I will follow L&LD's config.

I agree with the comments regarding product reviews. I try to weed through them and find the ones that appear from knowledgeable and reasonable folks. I've seen products rated terribly because the shipping was not fast enough, or the package was damaged. The router I have received is a MFG year: 2020, so hopefully it is past the one's manufactured earlier that were problematic.

I look forward to getting it up and running tomorrow.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!