What's new

RT-AC86U best merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok I can't flash directly ?
Can't keep my settings and yazdhcp addon ?
I just updated my post above after accidentally posting it prematurely. Try those steps first.

1. Are you running 20mhz on the 2.4ghz band? If not, this is likely your issue. The default setting is 20/40 Auto, and is known to cause issues.

2. If that doesn't solve it, you need to do a hard reset of the router. https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074

3. If that doesn't solve it, try running installing the official firmware and do a hard reset again. This is to check if it's the Merlin firmware that is causing the problem.

4. If it is not running stable with the official firmware; are you doing any custom settings? Undo them and try again. Perhaps try to go a version back on the official firmware.

Post your result here and we can figure out a way forward.
1. Yes I'm only on 20mhz for 2.4ghz and 20/40/80 on 5ghz
4. What do you mean by "custom settings" ? I have install yazdhcp by ssh for exemple

1. Yes I'm only on 20mhz for 2.4ghz and 20/40/80 on 5ghz
4. What do you mean by "custom settings" ? I have install yazdhcp by ssh for exemple
I mean are you changing any of the settings beyond setting the 2.4ghz band to 20mhz?

First, you need to do the other elimination steps: first hard reset the router (which will wipe all your settings) and see if that clears up the issue. If the problem persists, try the official firmware (including a hard reset after you've installed the update).

I mean are you changing any of the settings beyond setting the 2.4ghz band to 20mhz?

First, you need to do the other elimination steps: first hard reset the router (which will wipe all your settings) and see if that clears up the issue. If the problem persists, try the official firmware (including a hard reset after you've installed the update).
I've tried 3 or 4 times and it worked.
Right now i'm up to date
Don't know if it will improve my wifi but i will see

This router has bad reliability history:

And unresolved software bug, perhaps permanent:

Leaking/drying thermal pads are minor fixable issue. Others common ones are major:

Many folks around SNB Forums have lost one or more AC86Us. Not recommended as second hand purchase. Not recommended as new purchase because Asus have decided to leave it on 386 firmware. No more firmware development, expect only eventual security updates. Unofficial End-Of-Life status.

I'm glad I've found this post BEFORE purchasing the router. Thank you, Tech9.
My netwerk is based on a RT-AX88U main router, 1 RT-AX88U on the second floor (aiMesh), and 1 RT-AC88U (aiMesh). (please don't ask why there are 2 good equiped routers placed in an aiMesh setup ;-) ).

I just need one more aiMesh node, and was considering buying the RT-AX86U pro.
Is there any alternative recommendated device to use in aiMesh setup with the same specs?
(depending on the answers, I might have to start a separate topic on this one. Just have to figure out howto reply on this specific post)

I just need one more aiMesh node, and was considering buying the RT-AX86U pro.

RT-AX86U Pro is a new model router with better hardware than your RT-AX88Us. Better use it as a main router, not a node.

I'm glad I've found this post BEFORE purchasing the router. Thank you, Tech9.

This post is for 2017 model RT-AC86U. I believe you are confused by similar model numbers. Very different hardware routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!