What's new

RT-AC86U cannot list more than 10 clients?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

namgang

New Around Here
Asus RT-AC86U since 5 months. Now on 3.0.0.4.386_40451. It delivers connectivity as advertised. Initially I was impressed by the admin GUI. A lot more professional than the ***** brand I had before.

Over time more devices were added to the local network. The client list looks great, but not all clients show up. I have never seen more than 10, perhaps a magic limit. Also, manually assigned IP addresses have a tendency to drop out of the configuration. I find myself regularly using arp-scan and nmap to find new boxes when I add them to the network.

Are these known problems? At the time of writing the router would not upgrade its firmware.

Time to do a manual upgrade.
You can also look in the System Log/DHCP Leases for your information. Network Map works well for me (yes, I also have an AC86U, AC66U_B1, AC68U)

Network map sucks. Always has. And it's time for you to update as you're running behind on security updates and other fixes.

I have never seen more than 10

Are you sure? Asus 386_42643 firmware, AC86U.

Untitled_16.jpg

Thanks, just upgraded successfully. Still no more than 10 clients in the client list with several known (and working) devices missing. The DHCP leases log shows only selected devices. The manual IP assignment problem must have been my own fault.

It's not perfect, but good enough for most home users. This is a home router after all.

Missed previous reply by @Tech9. With exactly the same firmware: 10 clients, 4 wired, 6 wireless. I miss 1 wired printer and 1 wired managed switch. The DHCP leases log contains 7 entries. Maybe this is not an exact science. I just imagined the router would be in the position to know whatever goes on in the LAN it controls.

...and now a full list of 12 clients after rebooting the switch! My IQ is not up to this. I'll leave it at that.

...and now a full list of 12 clients after rebooting the switch! My IQ is not up to this. I'll leave it at that.
And I would bet that is a managed switch...

Needed, yes. You know, there is no problem with connectivity. All devices are happily humming along. It's just that I don't see them all from the router GUI.

I have had the same issue every since I updated the firmware to 3.0.0.4.386_42643 of my RT-AC86U. I noticed the problem when I tried to play a game on my old Xbox 360 while I was also checking the network map.

The Xbox 360 could connect to the internet but would not appear on the 86U's network map. All devices can connect without any issue.

Hopefully Asus will fix this glitch with the next firmware release.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!