What's new

Rt ac86u constantly disconnect internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pl4tin

Occasional Visitor
hello, i need some ideias to fix this annoying situation, so my new rt-ac86u , i get on wednesday, from time to time disconnect my internet, and i don´t know how to fix this, (at this moment that i writing this post, i switch the channel to 136, and later i will post new results) because this annoying issue happens most everyday and several times a day, if you know hot to fix this, please tell me some ideias, thanks

Last edited:
You're going to need alot more info on your setup so people can help you here.

yes, you are right, i'm with the latest Merlin firmware my WiFi setup is basically on default, except the 5ghz and ddns, a create profiles to family, no guest wifi, aiprotection on and i guess is al.
Yesterday with wifi analyzer i put my channel on 60.
if you need more info, i will provide you.

i wonder if this router has some sleeping mode on...

Update: now I change on administration, system, change idle timeout from 20 to 0, let's see what's happens

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_100805.jpg
    IMG_20200518_100805.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_20200518_100813.jpg
    IMG_20200518_100813.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
I had that type of an issue back Oct-Dec time frame. Drove me nuts. The problem was the ethernet cable (came with the router) between the modem and the router went bad. Swapped it out and things have been rock solid since.

yes, you are right, i'm with the latest Merlin firmware my WiFi setup is basically on default, except the 5ghz and ddns, a create profiles to family, no guest wifi, aiprotection on and i guess is al.
Yesterday with wifi analyzer i put my channel on 60.
if you need more info, i will provide you.

i wonder if this router has some sleeping mode on...

Update: now I change on administration, system, change idle timeout from 20 to 0, let's see what's happens

The idle timeout you're referring to in Administration > System is for SSH connections to the router, not the wireless radios.

Having looked at your photos, I would try:

• 2.4 GHz band set to Auto Wireless Mode, 20 MHz Bandwidth and the Control Channel as either 1, 6, or 11.
  • 5 GHz set to N/AC mixed, 80 MHz and try the lower channels, like 36 or 40. Even when these overlap with other networks, they perform better than higher uncluttered channels in my environment, so you may find the same for you.
  • For both bands, the only professional settings I have enabled are AMPDU RTS and Enable WMM, then Modulation Scheme set to match the capabilities of the band without TurboQAM, so MCS 7 (802.11n) on 2.4 GHz and MCS 9 (802.11ac) on 5 GHz.

Only takes a few minutes to make these changes, so not much lost if it doesn't improve your setup.

I recommend you flash Asus firmware 384_81918 (released today), Do factory reset, configure the router with a new SSID of 8 letters (no special characters), use dual band SmartConnect, set 2.4 GHZ to 20 MHZ on ch 1, 6, 0r 11, 5 GHZ to a fixed non DFS channel, 20, 40 80 MHZ. Do not change any other WIFI settings! If you can turn off Samba and Media Center. You will have a happy router!

1. Do you have a bunch of other networks choking the WIFI channels? Y/N? If yes, then the above advice is a good start. If it's a no...go to step 2.

2. Can you get a solid connection via ethernet on that computer? Y/N? If yes, I would be looking at hardware as the possible culprit. Early production 86U's had some infant mortality issues with the radios.
Possibly the WIFI adapter and/or the drivers are going.

3. Is there any other equipment (computer, tablets, nas, roku...etc) losing internet connectivity? If so, how are they connected, wi-fi or ethernet? If everything drops connection I would look straight at the router and the modem.
3a. Is the router dropping the wan IP?
3b. Can you direct connect to the modem with your computer?