What's new

RT-AC86U - DDNS account from previous router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueOrbit

Regular Contributor
I recently updated my old AC68U router to AC86U and previously registered a DDNS with Asus. I would like to continue to use my existing DDNS account with my new router. I tried entering my registered DDNS account but it doesn't work with a new router.

Can anyone advice on how to do it?

Thanks!

I recently updated my old AC68U router to AC86U and previously registered a DDNS with Asus. I would like to continue to use my existing DDNS account with my new router. I tried entering my registered DDNS account but it doesn't work with a new router.

Thanks!

I think I read here that your ASUS DDNS is remembered for your old router until it 'expires'. And that you can 'release it' from your old router first before trying to use it with your new router.

Don't quote me on this! :)

OE

I emailed Asus tech support.

They need to release the DDNS from the old router and assign it to the new one. I needed to provide models, MAC addresses and serial numbers for the old and new routers. This should do it :)

Put the old router back up, change the DDNSname to something else. When you go back to the new router you can use the old name

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I emailed Asus tech support.

They need to release the DDNS from the old router and assign it to the new one. I needed to provide models, MAC addresses and serial numbers for the old and new routers. This should do it :)
I have the same problem .. where I have to send this e-mail?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Today I've receive reply from Asus tech support and they said if you are not using your old router with the specific ddns for 90 days, this ddns name will be released.

So you have to wait for 90 days.

In my case on a next day my new router takes my old ddns name. I don't know how it's done.

Today I've receive reply from Asus tech support and they said if you are not using your old router with the specific ddns for 90 days, this ddns name will be released.

In my case on a next day my new router takes my old ddns name. I don't know how it's done.

Maybe you released it by disabling DDNS in your old router(?).

OE

Asus just finished doing this for me and my new router now has my DDNS from the previous router. They will release and re-register DDNS for you if you email their technical support.

Here is a quote from the Asus "How to setup DDNS" I referenced above: "If the domain name was registered by you, but you've purchased a new Asus router, and want to use the previous domain name on new router, please contact customer service http://www.asus.com/support/"

Thanks!

Yes, you are right but here is the answer from ASUS Tech support from this morning:

Unfortunately, the ddns domain can't be manually released. If you don't use the old router for 90 days, the domain will be automatically released.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.
We hope that the given information will be useful and we wish you a great day.

Best Regards,

Yes, you are right but here is the answer from ASUS Tech support from this morning:

Unfortunately, the ddns domain can't be manually released. If you don't use the old router for 90 days, the domain will be automatically released.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.

Best Regards,
Uhmm, since when? I've had them release it for me multiple times. So yes, they can manually release it.

Best Regards,

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

OE

Best Regards,

May i know the ASUSTech support information ?

May i know the ASUSTech support information ?
Yes, here it is:

Yes, here it is:

by email or call center ? ?