What's new

RT AC86U - Help me please! Bufferbloat and latency

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also US specific, I believe. Is it common in the US to pay modem/router rental fees?
Like I said, if you can use your own modem. You certainly should. But I totally get that in some countries, some users do not have that option(which is unfortunate).

To answer your question, yes I’m going to say that it is okay extremely common in the USA.

Most households don’t even realize that they have a choice so they pay their cable ISP equipment fees as part of their monthly bill for the use of their ISP’s router-cable modem unit.

Hey guys
I solved the bufferbloat problem with a tweak found in discord.
My test with waveform and dslreport is A + with 0 ms bufferload. I'll show a screenshot later.

for those who want to try the tweak is this:

From CMD run this command:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

(restart the pc)

RESTORE: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Only problem...my download speed got reduced by 50/60%

Also US specific, I believe. Is it common in the US to pay modem/router rental fees?

I'm not sure about common anymore, but it has not been unusual for the provider to charge such fees for equipment or for enabling WiFi.

My cable ISP, Charter Communications/Spectrum, will turn on service and let you install your own equipment. They will also give you a modem, if you want it. Similar with previous cable provider, COX. I'd guesstimate that this is more common now than it was in the beginning (90s), especially for cable ISPs in competitive markets with other cable and/or fiber ISPs. I suspect fees are more likely in markets with no competition... and for business accounts... they seem to think a business should pay more just because... because you can't order the less expensive "residential service" and because you're a "business" (you're suppose to be making money, so give us some).

OE

and for business accounts... they seem to think a business should pay more just because...

Same here. I'm paying for 3 business accounts, slower than my home account, 3x more expensive. They say it's "more reliable". :confused:

You are lucky that your AC86U's 2.4Ghz radio still works ok not good but ok!!

I found out my AC86U after staying online for a while with 5-10 2.4Ghz wifi client connected and streamed, the 2.4Ghz randomly stopped working itself although the 2.4Ghz shown available on the network but 1 - new 2.4Ghz Wifi clients cannot make new connections , 2- pre-existing connected 2.4Ghz Wifi Client would have no Internet at all although shown connected to the AC86U's 2.4Ghz!!

Dump it ...damn $169 I spent last year on this damn flawed AC86U's 2.4Ghz!! (Ax86U seems to work very well!)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!