What's new

RT-AC86U - Internet on and off intermediately

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevin7505

New Around Here
Hi,

Our internet is on and off intermediately.
I already contacted to Spectrum to check if there is issue with line. However there is no problem with line, and our neighbor who use same service doesn't have any issue.
I remember that It started after I connected refurbished computer to our network.
However I'm not too sure if it made the issue.

In our router, I set up couple of static ip for security cameras and NVR. However except those few static IPs, it is DHCP.
And the refurblished computer that I got from Amazon has DHCP setting by default, it is not static.
So I don't think it cause ip conflict.

Below is our network.

RT-AC86(main router)
Switch(1)
POE Switch(for security cameras)
Switch(2)
POE Switch(for security cameras))
Router(Lan to Wan)

I connected the new refurbished computer to Switch(2)

I attached a router logs.
Today(Feb 24), Internet was off around 12:11, and came On again after few minutes.
I didn't use computer in the morning, so I'm not sure if internet was off in the morning.

I would be appreciated for any help.
Thank you.

Attachments

• router logs.txt
    82.6 KB · Views: 109
What happens if you disconnect the refurb from the lan port and leave it for a day or two ?

i am not sure i understand the network layout. Can you provide a sketch that shows all the devices, the Ethernet port they connect to, starting with the ISP modem ? I understand the poe switch ports going to the cameras.
is the second router (“lan to wan”)in “router” mode or is it being used as an AP or ???

Last edited:
What happens if you disconnect the refurb from the lan port and leave it for a day or two ?

i am not sure i understand the network layout. Can you provide a sketch that shows all the devices, the Ethernet port they connect to, starting with the ISP modem ? I understand the poe switch ports going to the cameras.
is the second router (“lan to wan”)in “router” mode or is it being used as an AP or ???
Yes, I disconnected the computer to see before. However I didn't wait a day or two.
I disconnected it just few hours, and I saw internet was off intermediately even after that.

I attached our network diagram.
BTW, Can you see something in the router logs?
I think router might cause the issue.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4835.jpg
    IMG_4835.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 161
What is the model of the second router ?
how is the second router configured ?
Yesterday I just disconnected the 2nd router, and still internet is on and off.

By the way, Is there something that you can see in router logs that I attached?

try disconnecting the switches that have the cameras connected.

no, i don't see anything unusual in the logs. Which router is the log from ?

what is the second router being used for ? an AP ?

try disconnecting the switches that have the cameras connected.

no, i don't see anything unusual in the logs. Which router is the log from ?

what is the second router being used for ? an AP ?
It is a logs from RT-AC86(main router)
I used 2nd router like a switch to connect more devices.
Anyhow I already disconnected the router.
By the way, is there a known issue(internet on and off) with RT-AC86?

I used 2nd router like a switch to connect more devices.
If you are using the second router as just a switch be sure that you disable DHCP and turn the radios off unless you are planning on connecting devices to them. Then be sure that a cable from a LAN port on the first router connects to a LAN port on the second router unless the second router will let you configure the WAN port as a LAN port.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!