What's new

RT-AC86U is sold out @Walmart: a glitch or something else?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StR

Regular Contributor
For a few past weeks, RT-AC86U was available from Walmart, - both locally (for immediate pickup from the store), and for online orders.
Something changed yesterday - very abruptly, this product became unavailable simultaneously from the local stores and Walmart.com (but it is still available from other sellers).

I wonder if it is just some sort of a random glitch in the Walmart system (possibly their distribution/supply chain), or if there is something bigger behind it, e.g. delay in manufacturing, the model being discontinued, a different modification coming out, or something like that?

Was it at an exceptional price? It may not be worth selling them for so cheap (Walmart realized).

I noticed Amazon was only selling refurbs now, at least in the US.

1) They could be waiting for new shipments.
2) They could be stockpiling new shipments to sell at a higher markup.
3) They are being discontinued.
4) They are being replaced by a new model.
5) All of the above.

:)

College students stuck off campus running out to Walmart with Dad's credit card to fix their roommate's WiFi so they can get to online classes?

OE

I noticed Amazon was only selling refurbs now, at least in the US.
Thanks for reminding about that; I forgot to "link" that fact.
Indeed, Amazon has been sold out for at least a week now, AFAIR.

Was it at an exceptional price? It may not be worth selling them for so cheap (Walmart realized).
No, it was $189.99 , which is very close to the bottom range set by reputable resellers such as B&H & Newegg.

College students stuck off campus running out to Walmart with Dad's credit card to fix their roommate's WiFi so they can get to online classes?

Budget-sensitive students would be looking at simpler, cheaper models.
Budget-ignorant students would be buying either "latest and greatest", from the "AX" generation, and/or the "gamer" routers.

Budget-sensitive students would be looking at simpler, cheaper models.
Budget-ignorant students would be buying either "latest and greatest", from the "AX" generation, and/or the "gamer" routers.

If they are moving in and it's on the shelf at Walmart and they need it, they'll buy it... Dad's paying.

All endpoint technology is in short supply now... webcams, routers, laptops, etc.

OE

I like that term! 'Endpoint technology'. :)

I am (almost) selling or upgrading more computers now than selling new routers. Almost easier to sell a laptop w/webcam than just the webcam on its own. :)

At least your Walmarts sell Asus routers none do here in Michigan just Netgear, TP-Link and Linksys.

Ebay has fewer than a month ago, but still for $130 or so if you are willing to go thru the bidding process.

If they are moving in and it's on the shelf at Walmart and they need it, they'll buy it... Dad's paying.

All endpoint technology is in short supply now... webcams, routers, laptops, etc.

OE

You might have a valid point there.
What's interesting is that a few other ASUS AC routers are also sold out at the local Walmart (and online).
But, I am surprised why other brand routers are still available both locally and online (Netgear, TP-Link, ...)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!