What's new

RT-AC86U or RT-AX88U if buying now?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The RT-AC86U is a 4 antennae/4 stream 5GHz design. You can't compare that, or even the 2.4GHz band, with the router you're running now. :)

I'm almost positive the issues will disappear whichever band you use with the RT-AC86U. :)

Can i just thank everyone for their input. I went with the AC86U and delighted. The range is magnificent for the 5G band ime getting 215mb throughout the flat now. All i got to work out now is how to put my NordVPN on it and enable what devices use the VPN or the WAN ;-)

Can i just thank everyone for their input. I went with the AC86U and delighted. The range is magnificent for the 5G band ime getting 215mb throughout the flat now. All i got to work out now is how to put my NordVPN on it and enable what devices use the VPN or the WAN ;-)

Does anyone have the link to where in the forum it discusses setting up the vpn policy for certain devices on the merlin firmware?

Within EU we have much lower transmit power limits than US, they can use 1W for ch. 149+ while EU is down to 100 or 200mW.

but the setting of the policy rules for what devices go through the VPN and wat go through the WAN is the same though?

I'll add to other folks responses by saying that the AC86U is very new compared to most routers out there. There has been a burst of AX routers released by several vendors, but AX is still in draft status, so if the AX specification changes substantially before it gets approved, all these AX routers hitting the street may become more obsolete in a few years than an AC86U. Its not likely to happen, but it could.

I understand the concern about not having having max capability, but for the situation that you are describing, the AC86U is plenty. Make separate SSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, stick all your smart home stuff (including cameras if you have those) on the 2.4 GHz band (most of it is probably only 2.4 GHz band anyhow), and then save the 5 GHz band for you and your son's usage.

The only reason I could think of for considering the AX88U for your situation is if somehow your flat is very opaque to 5 GHz wifi, e.g. from brick walls or maybe steel 2x4 construction. In that case the AX88U might make sense.
----

Why would the ax88u be better for brick walls and Steel construction? Stonger signal?

I am waiting for the RT-AX86U..
CNet: "Other interesting new standalone Wi-Fi 6 routers include the Asus RT-AX86U, which takes our favorite gaming router of 2019 and upgrades it with faster, more efficient Wi-Fi 6 features and speeds"
Darn, the picture is too large, sorry.

asus-rt-ax86u-wi-fi-6-router.jpg

I am so disappointed on ax88u, and I will return it. I am thinking about to get gt 5300. Any one has recommendations

If you was purchasing now what would you go for if i could get the AC86U for £134 ($170) or the AX88U for £300 ($382)
Check Amazon.co.uk. i just purchased an RT-AX88U for £254 including delivery

Money isn’t really the issue, but so many people have said the performance from AC86U is better than the AX88U at this stage. But surely everyday that goes by the stock firmware and the merlin firmware will just continue to iron out the problems?

The reason why I am considering the AC86U is that it’s on offer and seems great value for something that’s on par with something twice the money at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just made this choice. Key for me was support for WiFi 6 (AX) clients with the AX88U. Performance with WiFi 5 (AC) clients is theoretically better, but not sure you’d see it in reality.

I am so disappointed on ax88u, and I will return it. I am thinking about to get gt 5300. Any one has recommendations
Why are you disappointed? What was wrong? Did you get a faulty piece? GT-AC5300 is so inferior to RT-AX88U in every possible way. It is slower in CPU dept, it has older Wifi5 and Merlin doesn’t support GT models. I also believe that it uses an interconnect to connect 4 LAN ports to other 4 LAN ports (Not a true 8 port switch). I agree that RT-AX88U has rough firmware at present but it’s still ahead of everything out there.

Why are you disappointed? What was wrong? Did you get a faulty piece? GT-AC5300 is so inferior to RT-AX88U in every possible way. It is slower in CPU dept, it has older Wifi5 and Merlin doesn’t support GT models. I also believe that it uses an interconnect to connect 4 LAN ports to other 4 LAN ports (Not a true 8 port switch). I agree that RT-AX88U has rough firmware at present but it’s still ahead of everything out there.

I try Merlin or stock firmware, the Wi-Fi speed will drop everyday. I have 400m fios, l just want a stable Wi-Fi connection, but ax88u can not give me that.

I try Merlin or stock firmware, the Wi-Fi speed will drop everyday. I have 400m fios, l just want a stable Wi-Fi connection, but ax88u can not give me that.
Try the firmware ending with 4636 downloaded from Asus official site. I am using that one till current Ofdma firmware is fixed.

Try the firmware ending with 4636 downloaded from Asus official site. I am using that one till current Ofdma firmware is fixed.
了I have been returned the ax88u, and I am not sure what router I should buy since the ax router is so buggy. I have two ac68u in Aimesh. Something the ax88u Wi-Fi performance is worse than ac68u.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!