What's new

RT-AC86U or RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't have any issues with the 2.4GHz range and coverage. It easily reaches all around the house and garden. Even the washing machine in the attic doesn't have any issues connecting. Video streaming to my phone in the attic works fine as well.
My car is 20m from the house and it can connect fine as wel.

I don't have any issues with the 2.4GHz range and coverage. It easily reaches all around the house and garden. Even the washing machine in the attic doesn't have any issues connecting. Video streaming to my phone in the attic works fine as well.
My car is 20m from the house and it can connect fine as wel.

There has been a whole debat on this subject over here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wi-fi-signal-strength-rt-ac86u-v-rt-ax88u.61856/

It seems some people face these 2,4 Ghz problems, while others don't. There's no consensus as to why, though it clearly points to a driver issue

Last edited:
And the word was.....

Netgear's R7800 on Voxel's FW beats the AX88U hands down on 2,4GHz, AX slightly better on 5Ghz.
Got a refund and saved some bucks as well. Bought the R7800 secondhand for a quarter of the AX's price.

Edit:
R7800 on OpenWrt offers slightly less WiFi performance compared to Voxel's. This combo really rocks, alas it has little tinkerablility.
OpenWrt performs little less (yet even better than stock FW) but is way more configurable and rich with options. I guess i'll stay on this FW for a while :)

Last edited: