What's new

RT-AC86U & RT-AC68U with dead WAN port as Access point or AiMESH possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BazzaG

New Around Here
Firstly, please forgive what maybe very simple network type questions but I struggle to understand anything "network" beyond the basics.

I have RT-AC86U as my main router. The router is running old'ish Merlin firmware and is currently in Wireless Router mode.

About a week before Xmas 2017 a power surge on my then ISP cable network fried their cable modem (replaced by the ISP) and the WAN port on the RT-AC68U (replace by the RT-AC86U).

At the time the AC68U was running Merlin firmware. The AC68U has been sitting in a box ever since.

I retrieved the AC68U and switched it on. My phone can see both the 2.4g & 5g networks so the wireless function of the router seems to be working OK.

I also recall still being able to logon to the AC68U from my PC which had a wired connection so I believe that the LAN ports (or at least 1 of 'em) on the AC68U were still working after the power surge.

What I would like to do is the following:

* Purchase a powerline kit, for example, the TP-Link TL-PA9020P (running ethernet cable is not possible),
* Use a LAN port on the AC68U to connect powerline device to.
* Run the RT-AC68U as an Access Point, -OR- better still run the AC68U in AiMesh node.

If possible, I would also like to use another LAN port on the AC68U for a wired connection but if I can't then I can do without it.

So my 1st question is:

Will the above work?

If so, are there any tutorials available online that give step by step instructions of how to do so?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
BazzaG...

For a short time I had an 86u / 68u combination very similar to what you have. It 'worked', but performance was poor. If I connected to the 68u, I got slower speeds even when in the same room.
My connectivity was via a Netgear switch. I have seen a few threads on here where people trying to mesh with the 68u aren't that impressed.

If you are going to use a powerline as the backhaul to the RT-AC86U from the RT-AC68U then without diving into the command line (even then it may not be possible) you would need the WAN port on the RT-AC68U to be working.

*I quite happily mesh an RT-AC86U and a first release RT-AC68U without problems. One tip would be to reduce the Wireless>Professional (5G)>Modulation Scheme to MCS9 (same as the RT-AC68U). It makes the handover between nodes un-noticeable! Stability here is far more important than absolute speed.

**Also with the current Merlin Firmware, it looks as though if the powerline backhaul runs out of bandwidth, then it supplements with WiFi backhaul.

you can enable WAN -DualWAN - Primary WAN - Ethernet lan1-4
but it will be for main router only

for AC68U you can install tomato (to do it you would go to very old RMerlin, for example RT-AC68U_378.55_0.zip and then install tomato) and then easy setup WAN on any LAN port with VLAN - than it can be use as AP.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!