What's new

RT-AC86U running backups to iDrive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bufflehead

Occasional Visitor
Good morning,

I am using iDrive for remote backups, and I would like to offload the backup process from my desktop system. I have a local SAN device (DLink DNS-325) for my primary backup, and my theory is that I could install an EXT2-formatted USB drive on the router, install Entware, and run the iDrive Perl scripts to back up directly from the local SAN device to the iDrive cloud.

Is this even possible and, if so, is it a feasible solution?

Thanks

Using Merlin, and a cron job I do a nightly backup of both my /jffs partition and my USB key attached to the Router to my NAS. I use a 31 day rotating backup and "dd" as my backup means.

Don't know really how you would go about this on stock, but I am willing to help out if you want to give Merlin a whirl.

Cheers

Don't know really how you would go about this on stock, but I am willing to help out if you want to give Merlin a whirl.
I don't think he wants to backup his router to the NAS, he wants to backup the NAS to his cloud storage provider.

Gotcha, my bad.

Sounds like a real neat idea and probably doable.

I don't know whether Entware would satisfy the minimum Perl version requirement.

P.S. The DLink is a NAS not a SAN.

Yes, I saw the Perl version as a potential issue. Not sure what the dependency is, and whether the scripts might be easily modified to use an earlier Perl version. Alternatively, is there an alternative to Entware that would offer a newer Perl build?

Regarding the TLA, I should have just stuck with "a backup thingy with two hard drives in it."

Regarding the TLA, I should have just stuck with "a backup thingy with two hard drives in it."

I know it is extra costs, but a second NAS could be an option. If you are just backing up files with no fancy stuff (streaming movies, multiple people access, etc), a home made NAS would fit the bill.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!