What's new

RT-AC86U very unstable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

St561n

New Around Here
Dear forum experts,

my only one moth old RT-AC86U was in the first weeks very impressive, fast, stable, but recently I got crashes without visibel reason. This was at first once per day, I switched back from Merlin to std. firmware. Got still crashes, I did then a full faytory reset and turned on daily rebott at midnight. Today I got crash after crash (more or less already after time synchronization it crashed again).
What can I do? I even turned the AiProtection off, but it got rather worse after that. Is there any support possiblity from ASUS or should I tryo to return the router to Amazon?

Attached you can find the log file as far as it was stored, but after all these crashes it got too long I guess. May be some of you can read from it somethin? I have connected via LAN a webradio, Synology NAS and a Rasperry PI (homematic). On the USB port I have a memory stick plugged in and via wifi are some smartphones, a printer and two computers connected. Nothing what should stress the router (I assume).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Log.txt
    424.2 KB · Views: 120
Dear forum experts,

my only one moth old RT-AC86U was in the first weeks very impressive, fast, stable, but recently I got crashes without visibel reason. This was at first once per day, I switched back from Merlin to std. firmware. Got still crashes, I did then a full faytory reset and turned on daily rebott at midnight. Today I got crash after crash (more or less already after time synchronization it crashed again).
What can I do? I even turned the AiProtection off, but it got rather worse after that. Is there any support possiblity from ASUS or should I tryo to return the router to Amazon?

Attached you can find the log file as far as it was stored, but after all these crashes it got too long I guess. May be some of you can read from it somethin? I have connected via LAN a webradio, Synology NAS and a Rasperry PI (homematic). On the USB port I have a memory stick plugged in and via wifi are some smartphones, a printer and two computers connected. Nothing what should stress the router (I assume).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Seems unhealthy. I would forget using it until it's stable. So, disconnect everything and reset it to factory defaults:

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

Upload the current stock Asuswrt firmware and reset it again using the webUI Restore w/Initialize option.

RT-AC86U BIOS & FIRMWARE | Networking | ASUS USA

Then configure it minimally and use it with one or two client and with nothing else connected until you trust it.

It it crashes again, return it.

Otherwise, slowly build up your network with it, one item at a time, allowing time to discover any troublesome equipment. I would not be surprised if some other equipment is at fault, but you never know.

OE

Thank you for the detailed answers.
Setting it up for testing will be challenging, I turned my modem from bridge mode back to router, this means I can use the Asus router only as access point, without WAN.

How can a client cause a crash of the router? This still sound like a bug in the router..

How can a client cause a crash of the router? This still sound like a bug in the router..

When troubleshooting, it helps to not rule anything out just because. It sounds like a messed up router, not a bug.

A proper basic install of a new stock router should just work. I would start there, not with your entire network connected including Rasperry PI (homematic) and whatever else is lurking on it. Quickly prove the health of just the router as you should do when setting up any new network.

Is the router new or refurbished?

OE

The device was brand new. I will start at the weekend with full reset and minimum configuration.

I have had devices go nuts and hammer the router with DHCP requests that in turn cause my 86U to give up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!