What's new

RT-AC86U vs RT-AX53U for aimesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maghuro

Very Senior Member
I currently have a rt-ac86u as an aimesh node.
Main router gt-ax6000.

Is it worth to upgrade the aimesh node to an rt-ax53u (50€ in Portugal, 2nd hand) to replace the ac-86u?

I've compared the specs and, despite the AX, the ax53u is inferior.

I'm testing the ac86u as an aimesh node and I don't see any degrading performance, but as I have the deal for the ax53u i want to ask the experts if it's worth the "upgrade".

I only need one aimesh node in my home, so the deal was to replace one for another.

Thanks.

I wouldn't replace working well RT-AC86U. It was top router at one point with ARMv8 CPU and excellent range BCM4366E 5GHz radio. This RT-AX53U is some entry level model perhaps not even Broadcom based hardware. Your RT-AC86U can do >500Mbps to wireless client in wired AiMesh. It can do >2Gbps link to the main router in wireless AiMesh (4x4 radio with 1024-QAM). RT-AX53U can do only up to 1.2Gbps wireless link (2x2 radio).

Last edited:
I wouldn't replace working well RT-AC86U. It was top router at one point with ARMv8 CPU and excellent range BCM4366E 5GHz radio. This RT-AX53U is some entry level model perhaps not even Broadcom based hardware. Your RT-AC86U can do >500Mbps to wireless client in wired AiMesh. It can do >2Gbps link to the main router in wireless AiMesh (4x4 radio with 1024-QAM). RT-AX53U can do only up to 1.2Gbps wireless link (2x2 radio).
So the "X" isn't worth the upgrade?

I'm asking because someone, somewhere, said it wasn't a good idea to have a mixed AC/AX setup

So the "X" isn't worth the upgrade?

Not this particular "X". This one is more like "x".

I'm asking because someone, somewhere, said it wasn't a good idea to have a mixed AC/AX setup

The best AiMesh is with identical routers and wired backhaul. Is another GT-AX6000 better idea for you?

Not this particular "X". This one is more like "x".

The best AiMesh is with identical routers and wired backhaul. Is another GT-AX6000 better idea for you?
No.... I'm portugu€se 😂

Don't use the old RT-AC86U just because you wonder what to do with it. The best home use configuration is single router. You don't need full bars Wi-Fi to every corner of your house. More Wi-Fi is not necessarily better. If your devices work well with your main router only - you don't need AiMesh.

I've been running a mixed AX/AC (AX86U/AC66U_B1) combo for about 3 years without issue. Devices with AX capabilities roam just as freely to the AC and vice-versa.

Don't use the old RT-AC86U just because you wonder what to do with it. The best home use configuration is single router. You don't need full bars Wi-Fi to every corner of your house. More Wi-Fi is not necessarily better. If your devices work well with your main router only - you don't need AiMesh.
I really need a node. On that particular spot I get 5mbps with high ping, and with node/repeater I get 100mbps with regular ping.
Before I was using a tp link power line AP.
Now I'm using it just to send signal to the node AC-86U.

I've been running a mixed AX/AC (AX86U/AC66U_B1) combo for about 3 years without issue. Devices with AX capabilities roam just as freely to the AC and vice-versa.
I see no issues at all. But as someone said it isn't good practice to have mixed AC/AX, I asked ☺️

Your other options are the RP-AX56 (AX1800) or RP-AX58 (AX3000)! I have an RP-AX58 just to get WiFi around a corner and into a service cupboard.

Here is one successful case of RP-AX58 use:

It depends on the clients and the environment though. AiMesh has very limited control. Test your luck and see what happens.

Does Asus have an extender integrated with power line
Because the only way for me to send signal to that particular spot is through electricity. And I can get it around 110mbps which isn't bad.

You'll find a couple of combined powerline/WiFi extenders on their product pages, but the specs are not pretty poor. There also have the Zen XP4 system which is expensive and underwhelming and I've never seen it in the wild despite the fact the company I work for used to list it.

PLA backhaul system may or may not work well. Many factors in play and more points of failure. If this is the only available option I would buy separate PLA adapters from a seller accepting returns and replacements with another product.

PLA backhaul system may or may not work well. Many factors in play and more points of failure. If this is the only available option I would buy separate PLA adapters from a seller accepting returns and replacements with another product.
Right now I have a tplink PLA, in which I deactivated wifi, and plugged via cable a ac86u. Working flawlessly

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!