What's new

Rt-Ac86u wireless disconnecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jamie96

Occasional Visitor
Hi maybe like once a day my routers wifi will disconnect all clients it comes back on under a minute or so just wondering if anybody has any idea what it could be or how I could fix it, I thought it might be the auto channel feature but I picked specific channels for each band so I haven't a clue as I've only had the router a week.

Hi maybe like once a day my routers wifi will disconnect all clients it comes back on under a minute or so just wondering if anybody has any idea what it could be or how I could fix it, I thought it might be the auto channel feature but I picked specific channels for each band so I haven't a clue as I've only had the router a week.

Look for a clue.

Use a WiFi Analyzer app to see if the WiFi signal is dropping.

Set a non-DFS channel for the 5.0 band to be sure it is not changing.

Did you reset the firmware before configuring it?

Check the log for clues.

OE

My AC86u does this almost every hour, but the connection is back within seconds.

I started noticing this when working from home due to COVID-19 measures: audio in calls will drop for a second and I get a notification that I’m (re)connected to my WiFi network.

Look for a clue.

Use a WiFi Analyzer app to see if the WiFi signal is dropping.

Set a non-DFS channel for the 5.0 band to be sure it is not changing.

Did you reset the firmware before configuring it?

Check the log for clues.

OE
I was on auto then switched 2.4 to 11 and 5 to 108 as my 5ghz was weak upstairs and it seems slightly stronger on the 108 channel

I updated the asus firmware when when setting up, would I benefit running merlin or is there no point for the causal?

Is it normal for the plug not to fully click to the UK 3 pin attachment it slides into the plug but doesn't fully click like it would any other plug like that don't know if that's just mine or all asus routers.

My AC86u does this almost every hour, but the connection is back within seconds.

I started noticing this when working from home due to COVID-19 measures: audio in calls will drop for a second and I get a notification that I’m (re)connected to my WiFi network.
Strange I'm only a noivce and started to research this kinda stuff but there is so much information to take in.

Probably just try the basics making sure cables are connected properly, also if your device is older if you don't have legacy on it might affect it, maybe try a complete reset of your router and seeing if it helps, I'm sure somebody on here that actually knows what they are talking about can help you lol.

Mines seems to happen once maybe twice, I'd go mad if it was happening every hour like yours hopefully you get it sorted soon.

I was on auto then switched 2.4 to 11 and 5 to 108 as my 5ghz was weak upstairs and it seems slightly stronger on the 108 channel

I updated the asus firmware when when setting up, would I benefit running merlin or is there no point for the causal?

Is it normal for the plug not to fully click to the UK 3 pin attachment it slides into the plug but doesn't fully click like it would any other plug like that don't know if that's just mine or all asus routers.

108 is a DFS channel. An auto DFS channel change could disrupt client connections.

No, changing firmware will not help much. Resetting it before you configure may help... but I repeat myself.

I don't know what a UK 3 pin attachment it slides into the plug but doesn't fully click like it would any other plug like that don't know if that's just mine or all asus routers.

OE

108 is a DFS channel. An auto DFS channel change could disrupt client connections.

No, changing firmware will not help much. Resetting it before you configure may help... but I repeat myself.

I don't know what a UK 3 pin attachment it slides into the plug but doesn't fully click like it would any other plug like that don't know if that's just mine or all asus routers.

OE
I'll definitely keep testing manually what the best channels are for me thanks for your help.

Yeah you know the plug for the router you know the way it comes in two parts the plug/lead then the part for your region for me it's a UK 3 pin for you it may be European style one or American but you slide it onto the plug mines goes like 99% on but it doesn't click like secure as I have phone charges that are the same and they click into place was wondering if this is supposed to be the design or is it just mine?

I have observed the same (wifi drop and reconnects in seconds, noticed during video call) while using Merlin's firmwares 384.13 - 384.19 on my AC86U. It happens regardless I turned Airtime Fairness, MIMO, and Beam-forming ON or OFF.
I have seen multiple discussions and suggestions, and. have tried some of them:
  • Turn off Airtime Fairness, MIMO, and Beam-forming (not work for me)
  • Use non-DFS channels (not work for me)
  • Use Merlin 384.12 (haven't tried yet)
  • Beacon Interval from 100 to 50 (from a Chinese forum and many replies said this solved their problem, but I haven't tried yet)
  • Switch from Merlin to Official (currently on this, 3.0.0.4.386_40451 seems working for me)

I have observed the same (wifi drop and reconnects in seconds, noticed during video call) while using Merlin's firmwares 384.13 - 384.19 on my AC86U. It happens regardless I turned Airtime Fairness, MIMO, and Beam-forming ON or OFF.
I have seen multiple discussions and suggestions, and. have tried some of them:
  • Turn off Airtime Fairness, MIMO, and Beam-forming (not work for me)
  • Use non-DFS channels (not work for me)
  • Use Merlin 384.12 (haven't tried yet)
  • Beacon Interval from 100 to 50 (from a Chinese forum and many replies said this solved their problem, but I haven't tried yet)
  • Switch from Merlin to Official (currently on this, 3.0.0.4.386_40451 seems working for me)
What is beacon interval?
Yeah I haven't had a problem since my Asus firmware update came through recently there everything has been smooth for me.
I have no WiFi congestion where I live but some channels definitely do give better range and performance over others it's annoying testing though if you don't live by yourself as everybody complains lol.

What is beacon interval?
Yeah I haven't had a problem since my Asus firmware update came through recently there everything has been smooth for me.
I have no WiFi congestion where I live but some channels definitely do give better range and performance over others it's annoying testing though if you don't live by yourself as everybody complains lol.
Beacon interval is a small package send by the router every N milliseconds to keep the device in sync. Shorter interval = more stable network at the cost of battery consumption, see The effect of beaconing on the battery lifetime Section 5. The default beacon interval for most consumer routers is 100 (unit: millisecond).

One more day WFH with busy video meeting, the 3.0.0.4.386_40451 firmware works fine without dropping once:)

By the way @Jamie96, do you mind to share which FW version you are using now?

Now that 386.1 final is out I plan to do a factory reset.

However, I’m afraid that won’t fit it.

Some updates from my side:
In the past weekend I have been trying to compile my own FW from the official 40451 code and a very simple patch (patch link). I flashed this firmware and today I had once WiFi drop and reconnect.

To summarise:
  • ASUS FW downloaded from ASUS site: never drop
  • ASUS FW compiled from GPL 40451 code + my patch: drop
  • Merlin FW (which is based on ASUS GPL): drop

So this observation drives me to a speculation which is the WiFi drop is rooted in ASUS GPL code itself, not Merlin-specific. This is weird because Merlin's website said there should be no lack of anything from Merlin FW (and in turn, the GPL code), while the WiFi drop is what I actually saw :(
Maybe we can summon @RMerlin to give a comment on this?

Last edited:
I still had this issue yesterday after installing 386.1 final over 386.1 beta 5.

I’m in the middle of a factory reset and will post results after that.

Experienced the same issue this morning, so factory reset (of 386.1 Final) did not help... :(

Experienced the same issue this morning, so factory reset (of 386.1 Final) did not help... :(
FWIW, I ran stock Asus, then Merlin 384.19 firmware without ever seeing this fault and having upgraded to Merlin 386.1 firmware via a full factory reset etc it's the same; I never have any WiFI dropout. It's either pure luck or some tiny config difference that must be the difference between our two RT-AC68U routers.

The wireless drivers are closed source, so other than there being different driver versions, driver version X you use in Merlin firmware is the same as driver version X in Asus' own firmware.