What's new

RT-AC87U current status with wifi issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisnasah

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I just purchased RT-AC87U to replace my much working N66U with no issues.

Still waiting to be delivered but just read about all the issues it comes with, is this still the case as most of the threads with issues are quite old.

Thanks

With the latest firmware, iOS devices should work better than before, however there's a higher than usual battery drain for Android devices. The recommendation for now is to use the 2.4 GHz band for Android devices, until Quantenna comes up with a fixed driver.

I just purchased RT-AC87U to replace my much working N66U with no issues.

Still waiting to be delivered but just read about all the issues it comes with, is this still the case as most of the threads with issues are quite old.
No wireless issues on my side! Just switched from AC68U (bricked during firmware upgrade) and can only speak positive about the AC87U wireless stability and performance (on both bands)! :rolleyes:
The speed and coverage are great (by far better then with the AC68U) - only the 5 GHz band is a bit weak on the other end of the home - therefore I still use the good old N66U!

Even the battery drain does not happen in my case - have some iPhones and ~10 Android devices connected, but nobody complained yet about unusual battery drain! :)
Maybe it's also related to the fact that all devices use pretty actual firmware (Android 5.x and 6.x, plus latest iOS on the iPhones).

thanks guys for the feedback.

Any advice on firmware to use? My N66u is merlin build and wondering whether to stick with stock or merlin way again?

It gets delivered today so will play with it tonight and update in next few days how it goes

The speed and coverage are great (by far better then with the AC68U) - only the 5 GHz band is a bit weak on the other end of the home - therefore I still use the good old N66U!
This should improve if they ever release the new version of the firmware that is currently in beta, 5Ghz performance have greatly improved here (strength and stability), for sure better than the current official firmware. :)

This should improve if they ever release the new version of the firmware that is currently in beta, 5Ghz performance have greatly improved here (strength and stability), for sure better than the current official firmware. :)
any chance you can share the beta one?

Didn't want to take a risk with the amount I was paying for it hence going back, will look for other models now.

With the latest firmware, iOS devices should work better than before, however there's a higher than usual battery drain for Android devices. The recommendation for now is to use the 2.4 GHz band for Android devices, until Quantenna comes up with a fixed driver.
latest official, or latest beta ?
on 3.0.0.4_380_1393 battery drain on 5GHz is normal - lower than 10% per night.

latest official, or latest beta ?
on 3.0.0.4_380_1393 battery drain on 5GHz is normal - lower than 10% per night.

Latest official.

Some people still report having battery drain issues, albeit not as bad as before.

I also had battery drain on my AC87U, changed to a AC88U, no more battery drain problem. Tested now on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1", 8 days on 5Ghz, lose only 22% of battery :) Distance from AC88U, 10 meters and 2 walls.

this topic is for 87u. You wanted to boast of buying 88u ?

this topic is for 87u. You wanted to boast of buying 88u ?

Uhm, he is showing comparison from RT-AC87U which he had before.

???

title this topic is "RT-AC87U current status with wifi issues?"
not comparision 87u and 88u

What you state does not make his post any less applicable. ;)

I had a play around before returning and noticed it was struggling on 5 ghz. Great when it connected but soon dropped it and laptop could not see it no more until reboot. Happened twice after upgrading to the latest version.

Built wise must say it looked and felt amazing compared to a N66U. I guess I will wait for a while until other models come tad down in prices.

I'm sorry if you felt offended by my post. I just wanted to write my experience with my AC87U. As I wrote before in another post here on this forum, I been having the AC87U for almost one year, and I had problems with battery drain and sometimes some drops with the 5Ghz.
So I decide to use my rights (we have in my country) to deliver it back to my local store and explain what my problem was. I got full refund without any problems and then I just payed 175 Euro extra to get the AC88U and my problem was gone. No more "crazy" battery drain and drops on the 5Ghz.
I don't say all of you may have the same problem like I had, but after almost one year without any fix from Quantenna, I decide to return the product. This is my decision and I do not regret.

Sorry again VANT, I didn't mean any harm.

I'm sorry if you felt offended by my post. I just wanted to write my experience with my AC87U. As I wrote before in another post here on this forum, I been having the AC87U for almost one year, and I had problems with battery drain and sometimes some drops with the 5Ghz.
So I decide to use my rights (we have in my country) to deliver it back to my local store and explain what my problem was. I got full refund without any problems and then I just payed 175 Euro extra to get the AC88U and my problem was gone. No more "crazy" battery drain and drops on the 5Ghz.
I don't say all of you may have the same problem like I had, but after almost one year without any fix from Quantenna, I decide to return the product. This is my decision and I do not regret.

Sorry again VANT, I didn't mean any harm.

No need to apologize, it was an innocent post. Vant has a reputation around these forums. He's the biggest hijacker of threads.

@bones5050 exactly....Another post is not related to the topic , and you say that I am hijacker ?
The summit of hypocrisy .