What's new

RT-AC87U high temperature & high cpu usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Geo92

Occasional Visitor
My temperature always seems to be around 80+ celsius. And at the moment 92 celsius (during a heat wave in the weather). Also my CPU core 1 & 2 are running at 90-99% degrees celsius constantly.

I am just running the latest Merlin firmware with Skynet and an OpenVPN Server on. I also had AIProtection and Diversion enabled. But to test if anything changed I disabled them, nothing changed.

Is this normal behavior?

No. SSH to your router and run the command : top
see what process eats your cpu and kill it (kill -9 PID_NUMBER)

The top 2 are %CPU 4.9 and 4.0 of Diversion (even when disabled, strange). And everything below that is much lower than those numbers.
It all adds up to just barely 50-55% of CPU usage according to the "top" command.

Yet, the ASUS page on the router still tells me the two cores are almost always close to 99% usage.

The top 2 are %CPU 4.9 and 4.0 of Diversion (even when disabled, strange). And everything below that is much lower than those numbers.
It all adds up to just barely 10-15% of CPU usage according to the "top" command.
My first guess that this was it. You see something like "diversion ash" right?
Look at the pid number of diversion process (the first-left column) and kill it. You will see that your cpu will go down to idle usage.
There was an issue with diversion sh history feature. After you kill it, enable diversion and disable diversion shell history (type: sh, on diversion main menu and you will see the option to disable it).
See also if you are on the latest diversion version because I think it was fixed in the last update

My first guess that this was it. You see something like "diversion ash" right?
Look at the pid number of diversion process (the first-left column) and kill it. You will see that your cpu will go down to idle usage.
There was an issue with diversion sh history feature. After you kill it, enable diversion and disable diversion shell history (type: sh, on diversion main menu and you will see the option to disable it).
See also if you are on the latest diversion version because I think it was fixed in the last update

It says
17139 17131 XXX 2024 0.7 0 4.9 {diversion} /bin/sh /opt/bin/diversion count_ads
28531 28528 XXX 2024 0.7 0 4.7 {diversion} /bin/sh /opt/bin/diversion count_ads count

It says
17139 17131 XXX 2024 0.7 0 4.9 {diversion} /bin/sh /opt/bin/diversion count_ads
28531 28528 XXX 2024 0.7 0 4.7 {diversion} /bin/sh /opt/bin/diversion count_ads count
Try killing them ... kill -9 17139 && kill -9 28531
and check if it solves the problem.

Wait, when you wrote : "Also my CPU core 1 & 2 are running at 90-99% degrees celsius constantly." you meant 90-99 degrees or that both cpu's usage are between 90-99%???

If your talking just about the degrees then - yes, the CPUs run very hot (no fans) and I heard the weather in Europe was one of the hottest those past few days so yes, the CPUs can reach +90 Celsius easily, this is why some of us add a Fan behind the router. Do a search on the forum , there are some good suggestions. I added a small Arctic Cooler USB fan behind the router, brings it from almost 70 degrees to 49-51 degrees

Last edited:
Try killing them ... kill -9 17139 && kill -9 28531
and check if it solves the problem.

Wait, when you wrote : "Also my CPU core 1 & 2 are running at 90-99% degrees celsius constantly." you meant 90-99 degrees or that both cpu's usage are between 90-99%???

If your talking just about the degrees then - yes, the cpu's run very hot (no fans) and I heard the weather in Europe was one of the hottest those past few days so yes, the cpus can reach +90 Celsius easily, this is why some of us add a Fan behind the router. Do a search on the forum , there are some good suggestions. I added a small Arctic Cooler USB fan behind the router, brings it from almost 70 degrees to 49-51 degrees

I'll try that in a sec. Using SSH is a bit new for me. For some reason I can't type that after using "top". it just selects between all the given logs. How do I type after using the "top" command?

I meant 90-99 % CPU usage. It sticks around 90-92 celsius at the moment (temperature)

Last edited: