What's new

Rt-AC88u and At&y gigabit fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigcid10

I'm on xfinity now but switching to att gigabit fiber tomorrow
can I use my ac88u router with that service as a router or do I have to change it to a access point?
Thank you

I'm on xfinity now but switching to att gigabit fiber tomorrow
can I use my ac88u router with that service as a router or do I have to change it to a access point?
Thank you
Tell the installer to bridge your modem and then you can use your AC88U as a Wireless Router with a public facing IP address. What this does is converts your ISP's Router/modem to just a one port modem.

Tell the installer to bridge your modem and then you can use your AC88U as a Wireless Router with a public facing IP address. What this does is converts your ISP's Router/modem to just a one port modem.

Only reason I ask is .the sales rep said I couldn't use the router
I thought it had something to do with the fiber part ,so I didn't question her

Only reason I ask is .the sales rep said I couldn't use the router
I thought it had something to do with the fiber part ,so I didn't question her
Usually a fiber connection terminates at a piece of gear called an ONT (optical network terminal). From there the format changes to Ethernet to your ISP router (the one you want in bridge mode or you need the vlan information for their gig network). An example would be vlan 1000 for DHCP or vlan 3000 for static, again these are examples and won't work for you, you need their specifics.