What's new

rt-ac88u and gt-ac2900 in aimesh, which to be master?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joe golladay

New Around Here
setting this up for my son who just had twins.. these are the two routers I have here that im not using and he is wanting better wifi in the house to run the baby monitor off of.. I know the smart thing to do would be to put the gt ac2900 as master but he wants it in the bedroom where his gaming computer is so he can watch the flashy rgb.. lol.. does anyone see any downgrades using the ac88u as master and the gt ac2900 as the node? I know ive always read to use the most powerful of your routers as the master but these two are pretty close. any advice welcomed.. thanks. joe.

setting this up for my son who just had twins.. these are the two routers I have here that im not using and he is wanting better wifi in the house to run the baby monitor off of.. I know the smart thing to do would be to put the gt ac2900 as master but he wants it in the bedroom where his gaming computer is so he can watch the flashy rgb.. lol.. does anyone see any downgrades using the ac88u as master and the gt ac2900 as the node? I know ive always read to use the most powerful of your routers as the master but these two are pretty close. any advice welcomed.. thanks. joe.

The GT appears to have newer/better core hardware and less mature firmware, and is sort of niche and may get less love.

The RT appears to have more mature firmware and extra LAN ports.

I would make the RT the router now and relegate the GT to node duty. When the GT firmware catches up, it may make a stronger router.

The RT LAN ports would benefit a family area media center with devices wired direct to the router.

I have not used either router so this is just my gut suggestion.

OE

I know the smart thing to do would be to put the gt ac2900 as master but he wants it in the bedroom where his gaming computer is so he can watch the flashy rgb.. lol..

You already have the answer to your question then. Give him the joy of RGB. :)

You already have the answer to your question then. Give him the joy of RGB. :)

She gets twins, he gets RGB lights and gaming in the bedroom, and some lawyer will get their money. Ah, the joy of it all.

OE

RGB and gaming are also important. Twins will understand. :)
With twins do you really think he's gonna have time to do anything but changing nappies, feeding and lets not forget teething oh the joys of old age I can still smell the nappies bin just before the launder service would pick it up

got it set up last weekend while i was down there visiting the twins. the 88u is doing fine as the master. ac2900 purring along as the node... hes happy.. and now if he could just get some sleep. lol..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!