What's new

RT-AC88U and TimeMachine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

georgbachmann

New Around Here
Hello,
I am totally new to this forum... so... Hi :)
I have an RT-AC88U router at home and would love to use it as a TimeMachine backup server. I configured everything and now it shows up on my MacBook. Nice!
Now I choose it and it now asks me for a password to connect to the router. I tried my user/password combo that I use to login to my router... not working (which it should according to: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1004458/) . I tried a samba user I did setup... also not working...

I have non idea what else I could try... does anybody have an idea what it could be?

Cheers,
Georg

Do you have a USB drive connected? Details of the drive? :)

Yes, it's a USB drive. It's a WD Passport. 1TB of HDD.
I can access it via samba... so it should work. Also the time-machine appears on my macbook as a destination...
My username has a "-" inside... Might that be a problem?
Thanks for the fast reply!!!

Last edited:
Hello,
I am totally new to this forum... so... Hi :)
I have an RT-AC88U router at home and would love to use it as a TimeMachine backup server. I configured everything and now it shows up on my MacBook. Nice!
Now I choose it and it now asks me for a password to connect to the router. I tried my user/password combo that I use to login to my router... not working (which it should according to: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1004458/) . I tried a samba user I did setup... also not working...

I have non idea what else I could try... does anybody have an idea what it could be?

Cheers,
Georg

In network place, Samba share, Turn ON "allow guest login". That will stop the prompt when you try from your Mac

Thanks for the fast reply!!!
Don't know why my first reply is still awaiting moderator approval :(
Anyway... I attached a Western Digital 1TB drive to the router.

I now tried this with samba guest login and it still asking for a password...

On more thing... without the guest login I can write to my harddive ("NAS") at all... even though my user has r/w rights...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!