What's new

RT-AC88U Dropping 2.4Ghz Clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Every time I do anything to the WiFi settings and it restarts the wireless, the 2.4G clients connect and work for a few seconds and then die off again.

Try turning off the guest wireless network completely and see if that has any effect.

Do you have any other access points or repeaters?

No other APs or repeaters. I've turned off all 2.4G devices except one for testing. Still same issue. Turning off guest didn't help. It did the usual start working again for 10 seconds after applying the change and then back to nothing.

Getting warmer. Every time I toggle the firewall from ON to OFF everything works for the next 10 - 30 seconds.

Factory reset no help. Add my router to the legions before me who have an Asus router with a dead radio. Nice of it to die two days after my return window. Now I get to live with 802.11G until Asus can be bothered to get me an RMA.

I am having similar problems with my RT-AC88U, and have been for 9 months. The only difference is that the issue is with the 5GHz frequency, and I sometimes have periods where it works before it starts to fail again. After 9 months of dealing with this BS, I am giving up and having it replaced. Save yourself the headache and do the same. Asus seems to have crappy quality control, so there's no guarantee that what you get is going to be any better, but it's worth a shot.

I am replacing it. Asus is cross shipping a new one (refurb I'm guessing). It takes them up to 10 days to get it to me they said. In the meantime I have this Linksys WRT54GS that still works almost 13 years after it was put into service. I hope the new Asus lasts that long.

I am replacing it. Asus is cross shipping a new one (refurb I'm guessing). It takes them up to 10 days to get it to me they said. In the meantime I have this Linksys WRT54GS that still works almost 13 years after it was put into service. I hope the new Asus lasts that long.
Wise decision. Best of luck to you. I'm still waiting to hear back from Asus about mine.

Be careful that 13 year old router is not supported and is massively riddled with security issues. Using it would be a huge risk. Good Luck !!

Did you get yours back yet @sbsnb ? Mine showed up on Monday but I haven't had the time to try it out to see if it fixes the problem that I was having.

No update. The RT-AC88U that was the subject of this post went to router heaven. The replacement has been working since without issue.
ok I tried disabling few things as mentioned by someone in the above post and it worked for me. Let me Quote the solution here

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!