What's new

Release RT-AC88U New Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.41535

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I updated and did a factory reset (by mistake). Then I had to update the firmware for all 4 nodes one by one and reconnect them.
Now the router disconnect everything several times a day!
Like a watchdog reset or something. For me this is not stable at all. I really regret the update.
What Shall I do? Going back is an option but then I guess I have to downgrade all nodes?

Please help me! This is very serious, we barely don't have any WiFi left. The family is not satisfied with this and I'm going crazy!
One ac88U
Four ac68U_B1

The whole weekend was ruined due to this update, I should have stayed with the one I had before

Please help me! This is very serious, we barely don't have any WiFi left. The family is not satisfied with this and I'm going crazy!
One ac88U
Four ac68U_B1

The whole weekend was ruined due to this update, I should have stayed with the one I had before

AC88U
Version 3.0.0.4.386.41535 2020/12/30
1. AiMesh 2.0

AC66U_B1
Version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 2020/11/05
1. AiMesh 2.0

I'd say those firmwares are similar.

What is the sq ft of your home's footprint? Five APs is a LOT of WiFi... probably too much.

Install the firmware.

Reset the firmware using the reset button or the webUI Restore with Initialize (I prefer the latter).

Configure the AC88U router. My install notes suggest a basic configuration. Your AC66U_B1s do not support Smart Connect node band steering so use different SSIDs per band. Search for and add the nodes... don't add more than you need to serve WiFi to your area. Use a WiFi Analyzer app to get a rough idea of the WiFi around you including your own. Use least congested, fixed, non-DFS channels.

It's possible the firmware upgrade introduce new components that improved the effective WiFi signals, which would further complicate too much WiFi. Once you have just enough WiFi, consider raising (less negative) the Roaming Assistant RSSI thresholds to fix any linger client connection issues, particularly with 2.4 clients having too many signal options. If 5.0 clients have too many signal options, then reduce the number of signals/nodes.

OE

Last edited:
AC88U
Version 3.0.0.4.386.41535 2020/12/30
1. AiMesh 2.0

AC66U_B1
Version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 2020/11/05
1. AiMesh 2.0

I'd say those firmwares are similar.

What is the sq ft of your home's footprint? Five APs is a LOT of WiFi... probably too much.

Install the firmware.

Reset the firmware using the reset button or the webUI Restore with Initialize (I prefer the latter).

Configure the AC88U router. My install notes suggest a basic configuration. Your AC66U_B1s do not support Smart Connect node band steering so use different SSIDs per band. Search for and add the nodes... don't add more than you need to serve WiFi to your area. Use a WiFi Analyzer app to get a rough idea of the WiFi around you including your own. Use least congested, fixed, non-DFS channels.

It's possible the firmware upgrade introduce new components that improved the effective WiFi signals, which would further complicate too much WiFi. Once you have just enough WiFi, consider raising (less negative) the Roaming Assistant RSSI thresholds to fix any linger client connection issues, particularly with 2.4 clients having too many signal options. If 5.0 clients have too many signal options, then reduce the number of signals/nodes.

OE

I live in Sweden where we have thick concrete walls. Two floors 200m2 + 41m2 garage, I guess around 2500 sqft.
I had it working perfectly before the upgrade so I don't think the many nodes are the reason to my problems.

I tested to go back to 385 in the central router, but no difference.
Most of the nodes connect by 5GHz backhaul. Is that good or bad? I can say good connection one minute and offline the next.

Now I have gone back to 386. Locked 2.4 GHz to a fixed channel. I use Ethernet backhaul to one of the nodes and for a while it has been stable.
I had almost basic settings before first upgrade, but didn't save the small changes I had. One of them was fixed channels.
In the future I will always save working configuration!

When it was at its worst, I even lost the internet connection through ethernet! Like the central router (ac88U) restarted.
Will keep my fingers crossed for this last setting.

1610984433506.png

I live in Sweden where we have thick concrete walls. Two floors 200m2 + 41m2 garage, I guess around 2500 sqft.
I had it working perfectly before the upgrade so I don't think the many nodes are the reason to my problems.

I tested to go back to 385 in the central router, but no difference.
Most of the nodes connect by 5GHz backhaul. Is that good or bad? I can say good connection one minute and offline the next.

Now I have gone back to 386. Locked 2.4 GHz to a fixed channel. I use Ethernet backhaul to one of the nodes and for a while it has been stable.
I had almost basic settings before first upgrade, but didn't save the small changes I had. One of them was fixed channels.
In the future I will always save working configuration!

When it was at its worst, I even lost the internet connection through ethernet! Like the central router (ac88U) restarted.
Will keep my fingers crossed for this last setting.

View attachment 29642

My family toured Sweden for two weeks in a new Volvo we picked up in Gothenburg. We had a good time... saw lots of thick walls. I would fine tune the placement of your wireless nodes to minimize the amount of masonry in the path of their wireless backhauls. Masonry is a WiFi signal killer.

A 5 GHz backhaul is good... better capacity/performance and less potential radio interference.

OE

My family toured Sweden for two weeks in a new Volvo we picked up in Gothenburg. We had a good time... saw lots of thick walls. I would fine tune the placement of your wireless nodes to minimize the amount of masonry in the path of their wireless backhauls. Masonry is a WiFi signal killer.

A 5 GHz backhaul is good... better capacity/performance and less potential radio interference.

OE

I live very close to Volvo in Torslanda and I work there. That tour is an amazing opportunity to see Sweden and get to know your new Volvo.

Now our WiFi is almost stable again. I have moved some nodes as you said and locked the 2.4 to one channel. That's all. I don't understand why that stops the router from "rebooting". It's not perfect. I have seen the google nest hub search for wifi a short period.

Today a new firmware is released. Not a word about aimesh or more stability. I will wait for a while....

hello.

to those who did the firmware update, can you paste the result of the command
Code:
pwr show
pwr??

xxxxx@RT-AC88U-nnnn:/# pwr show
-sh: pwr: not found
xxxxx@RT-AC88U-nnnn:/# find . -name pwr
xxxxx@RT-AC88U-nnnn:/#

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!