What's new

RT-AC88U no Fiber connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Biobio

New Around Here
Hello dear friends, i'm a novice and writing today because since 1 week I finally have fiber 1G connection at home.
I'm trying to setup my ASUS RT-AC88U to be the only router handling the internet line at home but with no success.
parameters to be inserted in the router are quite the same for most fiber connection:

Encapsulation type: PPPoE
ID VLAN: 835
Downstream : 1000 Mbit/s
Upstream: 300 Mbit/s
primary DNS: assigned from IPS
secondary DNS: assigned from IPS
User and password: chose one you like, substantially I used my IPS name for both ( my ISP is ARUBA )

Above are the parameters received from my IPS that is called ARUBA
Well, I setup the PPPoE as connection type, I tried to select for DNS ( assigned automatically ) or even I have tried to use the GOOGLE DNS

the ID VLAN: 835 is not possible to be inserted into WAN config page so I know 835 must be inserted into LAN/IPTV section under internet VIM, and I did it.

Downstream : 1000 Mbit/s and Upstream: 300 Mbit/s I don't know where to put this parameter in case I have to....but I guess this is not really required?

I don't know if something else need to be activated / inserted, but there is no way for me to have an IP assigned to the WAN

I kindly ask to expert users if they can help me, teach me how to extract the configuration file and maybe modify it and push it back to router, or if there is a configuration file I can extract and have a look?

I'm desperate, I don't understand......I had the 386.2_2 firmware, but I read there are some disconnection issues with that firmware so I installed the 384.19_0 that I read is more stable....but with both firmware version the results are the same.

I can say that using a FritzBox instead I can run internet with no problems....so ONT and the line itself are working fine, no restrictions, nothing ....

Please anybody that knows more or that can suggest something to me will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Until the experts are coming...:)
Your ont is set as bridge or router?
Not sure if that's the case but if your ont is set as router, then you can't configure your asus with pppoe, but as auto/dynamic and if your ont is in bridge mode then you can use the pppoe variant.
Just wanted to know first, that you are past this issue.
Also here are some basic settings for ppoe, just to verify/exclude.

aa.JPG

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for your post. I guess my ONT it is set as router...if I select ( as you posted in WAN connection type ) PPPoE I don't even get anything...
if I select auto/dynamic I get assigned on WAN an IP address that is completely different from the one I ususally received when I use my router FRITZBOX ( actually the one that is fully working ).....

FRTIZBOX received on his WAN this range: 80.73.xxx.xxx

ASUS RT-AC88U ( selection auto/dynamic ) receive this range: 217.61.33.xxx but it's not navigating on the web, it received an IP on his WAN as well as the correct DNS provided by IPS ( same as FRITZ receive ) but is not navigating then, no internet connection

Last edited:
They should have a 24 hour support, so go to their webpage and @ contact ask to them to set it to bridge mode. Than you should try the pppoe login. If for some reason that still wouldn't work ask them to support. Fastest way.
Sometimes a reset might also help, not sure if that's the case here.

Mmmm..... Do you think if ONT is setup as bridge mode then it should work?

I had a look to few threads in this forum and the VLAN tagging can be setup on LAN section under IPTV option...

And it is what I have done already by putting the parameters my IPS gave me (835)

I'm frustrating...

As you mentioned the fritzbox, I was thinking you must be from Europe.
Here is what I noticed so far... the isp's router should be set to bridge mode for the pppoe to work.
Otherwise must use auto/dynamic settings and this way their router will remain as a 'plus' router. But I don't think it's a good option, especially that you mentioned you want your ASUS RT-AC88U to be the only router handling the internet line at home .
Why don't you ask them on support just to be 100% sure, or maybe there is another missing setting that is needed from their end? It will take 2 minutes.

Last edited:
As you mentioned the fritzbox, I was thinking you must be from Europe.
Here is what I noticed so far... the isp's router should be set to bridge mode for the pppoe to work.
Otherwise must use auto/dynamic settings and this way their router will remain as a 'plus' router. But I don't think it's a good option, especially that you mentioned you want your ASUS RT-AC88U to be the only router handling the internet line at home .
Why don't you ask them on support just to be 100% sure, or maybe there is another missing setting that is needed from their end? It will take 2 minutes.
my contract with ISP is just line installation...the Fritz i'm using is mine.....but it is easier to setup Fritz, I don't even need to select PPPoE, just select the provider and Fritz is setting up himself automatically....

the ISP at the end of line installation just provided me the line settings via mail, but parameters are public on their site, I mean there are only 3 things to be selected during home router configuration and I mentioned parameters in my first post here.

Asus is the issue not having the VLAN ID option clearly available on WAN section setup, and the work-around of going to LAN/IPTV and put there the VLAN ID 835 into the VIM filed is maybe not working..... I need a master user able to help me with a kind of SCRIPT that setup correctly the parameter I need suring the booting phase....

for example I found this:
https://github.com/BugVito/asus-router-eth-guest-vlan

it is an example of what a script can do if properly prepared....but I am not ablr to make my own script or verification since i'm not an expert...

I can call the ISP, asking ( if they can ) to have ONT as bridge, but i'm 99% sure they will reply please sir change your router and use Fritz......no assistance since I bought line only , and in case I have bought line + router they are providing Fritz in the package....

Need an expert, and it's a common issue this one to all user that have ASUS router at home and upgrade to fiber connection, if you are unlucky like my you are stuck on this....

Well, hopefully someone will help you out with a script then, if that is the solution. Good luck buddy.

Thanks....
I really hope someone able to run a script even only to understand where is the gap would be so kind to help me...