What's new

RT-AC88U - unable to access webui

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rn170uk

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I've just flashed my RT-AC88U to 386.2_6 from 384.14_2.
I can no longer access the webui. When I first connect, I get the login page, and it then just spins. First restart post install I saw the opening page but Chrome reported the page was unresponsive.
Are there any recovery options? I stupidly didn't back up my cfg before flashing and only have one from an old AC68U. Since it's binary, I can't get anything out of it.

The only saving grace is that my internet still seems to be up and working - but I'm just stuffed for doing any config.

thanks in advance

try to access router using Firefox
if this will not not help you would reset router via WPS or mini CFE

if you clear nvram yes

I would leave router for few hour and then turn off and turn on again - it is possible that migration will take more than 1h.

wow... that's a long time. I've rebooted/switched off several times since I upgraded.
I did managed to use the Asus Router app on my phone and was able to "save settings". It thinks I have 1/10 saved, but where does it save it?

What is mini CFE?

Luckily I have found my ISP id/password but all my config (guest networks, VPN config etc) will to be rebuilt if I have to do a factory reset I'm assuming.

Last edited:
I would leave router for few hour and then turn off and turn on again - it is possible that migration will take more than 1h.

It's back! Phew. First time I've encountered this rebuild delay with an upgrade. Now config is all backed up (in two places)

it is good it works and you did not lost your settings.

mini CFE - allow you to clear nvram and put software directly from it. you can google to check how it looks. You keep reset press and the power router when power start to flash you connect to router IP (with firefox the best) and then you will see miniCFE :)

This 'issue' is stated in the changelog. :)

Clearly a Wetware / layer 8 issue - RTFM
(embarrassing as I've failed on two counts with this - and I've been in IT since the days of IBM PCs and PDP1134s)

NOTE: Some users upgrading might have to go through some database maintenance on first boot, which means the router might be slower or have a non-responsive webui
for a while.
This can take anywhere from 5 minutes up to an hour, depending on your model, just give it time to complete the process.

I think I have a similar problem/issue. I have updated the router, I got the login screen but it stays in loading.
So, as far as I understand the upgrade can take up to 1 hour?

I have turn off/on the router thinking that the UI was hung. That will break the upgrade or it will continue?

It won't break the upgrade, but it may reset the time it needs to fully update its internal database(s).

Doing a full reset means not having to wait an hour to several days though (as some have had to).

From the changelog.

386.1 (30-Jan-2021)
Switched to the new 386 codebase. 386 introduces
AiMesh 2.0, finalizes the move to OpenSSL 1.1.1
firmware-wide, adds a new speedtest (powered
by Ookla). For more details, please refer
to Asus's own release notes.

- NOTE: For developers, note that firmware code is
once again back on the master branch, with
both mainline and ax being reunified again.

- NOTE: Some users upgrading might have to go through some
database maintenance on first boot, which means the
router might be slower or have a non-responsive webui
for a while.
This can take anywhere from 5 minutes up to an hour,
depending on your model, just give it time to complete
the process.

Changelog | Asuswrt-Merlin

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!