What's new

RT-AC88U wifi error

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yesitsme

New Around Here
The system is set up as AiMesh and I use RT-AC88u as the main router and several RT-AC86u as nodes.
All nodes are connected to the main router with LAN cables.
When I’m connected to the main router via Wi-Fi, it looks like I’m online with full strength but I lose contact with the internet (I also can’t connect to the router’s web interface).
When I turn Wi-Fi on and off on my phone, the internet will work for about 20 seconds before everything stops working.
When I’m connected to Wi-Fi via one of the nodes, everything works fine and I get full internet speed.
Does anyone have an idea of what the error might be?

Welcome to the forums @Yesitsme.

How many nodes? How big is the area you're covering? What construction materials are used for the walls/floors?

Are you using LAN ports 5-8 on the RT-AX88U? If so, test with a switch connected to Ports 1 to 4 instead (do not use Ports 5-8).

Have you tried an electrical reset? Power down all network equipment, wait for a minute or two, then power everything back up. Beginning with the main router first.

Hi!
My system covers about 300m2 on two floors and the building material is mostly wood.
All the nodes are connected through a switch that is connected to port nr 1.
I already tried the electrical reset and the WiFi still only connects me to the internet when I am connected through the nodes. It is kind of weird.

How many nodes?

150 Metres square is all the area you're covering. RF is a 3D propagation.

Is the RT-AC88U using defaults, or are you using extra features? What firmware/version is it running?

How recently has this worked for you (if ever)? What changed since then?

It's this a new router to you? Have you ever reset it completely? Did you configure it with a saved backup config file?

If you powered down all the nodes, is the main router's WiFi stable?

The system is set up as AiMesh and I use RT-AC88u as the main router and several RT-AC86u as nodes.
My system covers about 300m2 on two floors and the building material is mostly wood.

You perhaps need 2x RT-AC86U only to cover this house. Remove the older and slower RT-AC88U. Plan entire Wi-Fi system overhaul with something else because RT-AC86U is also facing End-Of-Life soon. Just because you have a bunch of older Asus routers doesn't mean your only option is AiMesh. If you have wires you are not limited to home AIO routers and "mesh" sets. A cluster of 2-3 Cisco or Zyxel APs with PoE switch for example will make your entire household happier. And you'll have the chance to learn something new around networking and Wi-Fi.

Thank you for your answers. The store where i bought the main router will replace it under warranty.

If you've recently bough the RT-AC88U you should return it anyway. It's EOL and no longer supported by Asus.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!